RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 97 12:01:02 -0000
>But I'm starting to wonder:

>Is instincto coming to a stage that NH seems to have been stuck in for
>decades? Namely, that for all the beauty and elegance of its basic tenets,
>it still doesn't give its practitioners the Perfect Health which one
>supposes it "should".

I've been concerned about my health to.  This whole incident of returning
to Cali has been painful.  This morning is the first morning I don't feel
really fucken shitty.  I got a 1 1/2 hr. massage last night which helped
bunches.  I think the halibut has stuff in it my body doesn't like.
Truth told though Kirt, I felt pretty good in Hawaii.  I don't feel I
need some vast array of foods, what I need are high quality foods, a
clean environ, and some descent people.  Also, I think the reality of
living in San Diego as you describe is very stressful.  I also don't feel
the kind of disdain for veggies you do, I eat them infrequently, but I
really like them when I do.  Ate some snap peas out of the garden two
days ago that were yummy and energizing, for example.

>Thus instead of examining its a priori tenets
>carefully and with honest scrutiny, more and more extreme practices are
>purported to correct any remaining inadequecies. For example some NHers
>have, at various times, considered the "problem" with NH diets to be "too
>much fruit" "too many nuts" "too much acid fruit" "too much sweet fruit"
>"too many veggies" "too much negativity" "too much sex" "too much stress"
>"too few leafy greens" "too few blended veggies" "too much food" "too
>little food" "too little fasting" "too much fasting" "too many meals" "too
>much effort" "too much time between meals" "too concentrated foods" etc
>etc. All the while ignoring that the vegan a priori of NH might deserve
>more honest scrutiny.

I agree with that, but what do you think an instincto might need, tofu, a
baked potato, raw goats milk?  Or is it less or quality or more
companionship.  Certainly thinking your some fringe personality because
your eating a raw chicken isn't an instincitive primally happy feeling,
it's a domesticated, fearful, threatened one.  I think about my blues and
sufferings, and they seem to be at the edge of sensitivity to what's gone
down, not that I feel real unhealthy.  When I "feel into" others I rarely
feel an adult, even if they "look healthy" that feels juicy and
attractively alive to me.  This indicates to me my relative health.  You
know I have  a whiney guilt-ridden worrisome Jewish imprint that ain't to
instinctive.

>So far from instinctos I have heard "eat the skins of fruits" "eat your
>meals at the market" "insects are the best RAF" "eat only if all signals
>are 'full green'" "eat your veggies everyday" etc.--all of which seem to
>be adressing the issue of overeating fruit (or with insects, overeating RAF).

Yeah.

>And like NH, instincto has a tendency to consider all problems one
>encounters to be matters of detox, or the degradation of the organism from
>past abuses, or the other aspects of Wrongful Living (exercising too much,
>exercising too little, working a neurotic job, being in neurotic
>relationships, not enough sun, too much sun, not enough sleep, etc.). But,
>while there is a pretty good argument for all these singular points of
>view, wouldn't it be easier to start off with a little less zeal in the
>first place? Might the instincto a priori of "the taste-change will
>protect
>one from overeating a particular food" simply may be wrong more than right
>in our current circumstance?

Yeah, I agree also.  Maybe we're too emotionally immature to trust
ourselves here.  Ideally our organism would do that, but maybe more
reigns would be appropriate instead of just wild riding (though it's so
fun).  Protect is interesting word, because that means the war is in
ourselves.

>More and more subtle cues are promoted as the "real" taste change, but for
>myself if, when I'm eating a food, I'm running a dialogue in my head about
>"is that the stop?" then I seem to be quite non-instinctive and very
>neo-cortically driven. Indeed, if I'm wondering about a stop, that itself
>is probably a stop since I am not entirely "consumed" with the pleasure of
>the food anymore!

I completely agree, I even said something like this in my book.  So Kirt
we must learn to dwell in the radient pleasure of beingness so we don't
seek pleasure, already feeling unhappy, in food.  Maybe the error is in
seeking pleasure in food, instead of dwelling in pleasure prior to that.
That food is pleasurable and that is our litmus test is different than
seeking for it from prior dissatisfaction.  So how do we access that
prior, (probably already always present and available), feeling of
satisfaction or bliss in being?  How do we block that access?

As you've said in your manuscript, we can't make instincto more than it
is, a diet, it's not family, feelings, ultimate security, spiritual
understanding, etc.  Deborah had a dog named Sabi that used to puke alot.
 One day she got it x-rayed and they found that there was a corncob stuck
in its digestive tract.  They did the operation and the puking stopped
all together.  Maybe you (and I and others) have a corn cob stuck in us
that sabotage are best intentions towards health.  Maybe if we identify
this little monkey wrench, we can get over these frustrating hurdles?
Just a thought.

>If I turn off my neo-cortex and follow my sensory
>pleasure, then I tend to overeat (and wouldn't be surpised if a wild troop
>of chimps presented with "unlimited" modern raw foods wouldn't do the
>same). OK, so then we are back to correcting the "problem" of the over-
>and under-supply of particular modern foods. Why not toss out the "eat till
>the taste-change" a priori and start with "select your foods according to
>sensory attraction and try not to overeat"?

Both are head trips, right?  But yeah, I agree.  Still, don't you
spontaneously eat less than you used to?  I used to eat 450 plums a day,
now I'm down to 435, see;-)  Geez.  But, I just can confess I'm less and
less obsessed with food.  I don't even care if it's delicious so much as
if it allows me to get onto other things, satisfying my hunger.  I think
emotional fluidity and sufficient family is more significant to basic
daily happiness than diet.

The last thing.  The new sheeps at Pangaia are lousy examples of
instinctos.  1.  They're eating before 7am.  2.  I've seen them eating
grass (a mixed lawn) then grab an avocado leaf, then eat more lawn.  3.
They don't worry if they're overating (this is what really disturbs me
the most):-)  I sent Manis to give them a sermon on instincto so they'd
start modeling appropriate behaivor!!!

Last thing.  I just walked a dog, 3/4 wolf,  on a nature trail and I
noticed it just doesn't smell for food, it's just constantly smelling,
sorting out all sorts of things, from other shit or piss (which often
requires some of it's own to overpower it) or plants, or whatever.  I
started smelling more short and breathy and continually like it did, it
felt good.  That's it.

See ya,

Zephyr