RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 18:03:11 -0800
From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>

Stephen said:
>No way.  Hot food and beverages don't make you warm, they make you
>less resistant to cold weather.  Prisoners at Alcatraz were made to
>take very hot showers so if they escaped, they would not be able to
>survive the cold water of San Francisco Bay.

Fascinating story. However, even if hot foods and drinks do make one
less resistant to cold weather many people enjoy the temporary warm &
cozy feeling they get by consuming these items. Raw foods heated to
around 105-118 degrees are enjoyed by many and The American Living
Foods Institute in Glendale CA have used many warm, raw food dishes in
their programs.
They used to have website at http://www.serve.com/alfi but I have not
been able to access it lately. Their phone number is 1-800-440-ALFI and
if they still are in operation should have some cook books for sale.
Some of the tricks they use for making warm foods are: using warm water
for cereals, the sun for sun tea, a skillet for soups, stews and sauces
and the dehydrator for breads, pastries & puddings. The last three
lines I stole from "Warming up to Living Foods" by Elysa Markowitz. To
order call 310-453-2545. If you have no luck on this number let me know
and I will try to find her home phone no. She now resides in New
Mexico.

Best, Peter

PS. Ginger and cayene also have a warming effect on the body.