Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:48:54 -0500

Hi Y'All,

I have been reading with some interest the discussion about oats and cross
contamination.  The grain storage / transporting infrastucture in the US
virtually promises cross contamination of grains.  Cleaning processes can
seperate grains with large size and shape differences.  For instance, at the
flour mill I use to work at, the wheat would come in with about 0.5% corn and
soybeans mixed in, but because of the size difference, they were easy to
remove.  Oats and wheat, on the other hand, are close to the same size, and
much more difficult to remove.  I have not worked directly at an oat
processing facility, and do not know how well they clean the grains before
processing.  Some mills I have worked at had the equipment to seperate wheat
and oats, some did not.  I would think that oat mills wouls be the same.  I
do know that we will not eat any oat products.

Best,
STEVE, warm in S. FLA