RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 01 Nov 1996 22:32:41 EST
Shawn,
	Biodynamic is a stricter form of organic, originating with
Rudolph Steiner decades ago.
	I prefer fresh to dried produce, but fresh is often very
expensive in Ann Arbor in the winter, so I stock up on things that will
keep well on my cool back porch.  The 50 lbs of carrots I got a deal on
--- 45 cents/lb (biodynamic).  We'll see how well they hold up.  I may go
on a carrot juice diet for awhile, if necessary.
	In my experience, nuts, seeds, grains, medjool dates, and
calmyrna figs keep pretty well, so I stock up on those for winter too.
	With food, buying in quantity always saves you money, but the
longer the distance it comes from, the less you save.  Last winter, I
couldn't find any organic Temple oranges (my favorite orange) locally, so
I tracked down and bought a 40 lb case UPS from a grower in Florida.  The
oranges cost $15 --- but the S&H was $25!  So the $1/lb is probably what
I would have paid retail in the store, if they had had  them.  But for
nuts, seeds, grains, dried fruits, and such, there's a distributor in
Western Michigan I buy a lot of stuff from; and the stuff is a lot
cheaper than retail, even with the shipping.  But you got to be prepared
to buy 25 lbs of something at a time often.  Most of it comes originally
from CA, but using the middleman is still cheaper for me than buying
direct from the growers because of the lower S&H.
	Sweet potatoes go bad a lot sooner than white potatoes, so if you
get a stash of those, you might want to have fridge space for it.  (And
the carrots maybe too, we'll see.)
	The few Internet stores I've seen have been on the expensive
side.
					Bob