RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 21:06:22 -0800
"Steven M. Serisky" <[log in to unmask]>:
> [from an article by:] George Meinig, D.D.S., FACD
>To test this quite simply, I suggest after eating corn that you take a
>moment to observe the number of undigested kernels of corn in your stool .
>Then the next time you eat corn on the cob, without cooking it, you will be
>amazed at its tenderness and improved taste. But at the same time, when you
>observe your stool, you will be surprised at how much less undigested corn
>is present. The reason, of course, is that cooking made it less digestible
>- it is more difficult for the digestive juices to break it down.

Tom:
A plausible alternative explanation: cooking made the corn softer, so the
consumer of cooked corn eats it much faster - i.e., much less chewing,
even "adjusted" for the softness difference. Another possible explanation
is that one will eat more cooked corn than raw, and the overeating is the
cause of incomplete digestion.

"Steven M. Serisky" <[log in to unmask]>:
>I still have not tried raw corn yet.....if I ever find any raw organic
>corn, then I will definitely give it a try (in fact I am looking forward to
>trying it).

Tom:
Raw sweet corn is generally, very sweet and tasty. Definitely worth trying, even
if non-organic.

Thanks for an interesting article!

Regards,
Tom Billings