RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ombodhi thoren st john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 06 Mar 1997 05:11:18 -0800
someone who calls themself Roy P D'Souza wrote:

> Hello,

> I'm a big fan of the Raw Food restaurant in San Francisco.
> Does anybody know of other similar restaurants in the area?
> (I heard about a place called "keffi" in Santa Cruz, but was
> unable to track it down.)

i have eaten at keffi's.  it shut down some time ago.  a new restaurant
sprouted in its place -- green garden.  now green garden has gone out of
business.  after my summer of saunas and wild berries in canada, i
returned to santa cruz.  before arriving home, i happened to go by the
ex-keffi/ex-green garden building, to see that a new cafe has manifested.
 i forget the name i read painted on wood.  each incarnation got further
from live foods.  i remember eating a raw lemon-nut pie at keffi's.
every night they featured a living foods dish, with plenty of cooked fare
in the menu.  green garden served me "living spaghetti", with long white
mung bean sprouts as the "pasta."  the beans must have lead a pressured
life.  raw borscht served cold.  nothing to really compare with _raw_
living foods restaurant in san francisco.  to my knowledge, the new
cafe has no living foods entrees.  just salads like most.

        i'll finish with page 236 from john robbins 1992 book,
                    diet for a new world:
                       may all be fed

             ^
                        keffi's pate'

                        makes 2 cups

                 ^
this delectable pate' comes from restaurant keffi in santa cruz.  it is
uncooked and is made from pumpkin and sunflower seeds that are soaked for
six to twelve hours to achieve the desired taste and texture.  more
important, soaking starts the sprouting process, which improves the
nutritional value of the seeds.  spread a tortilla with the
pate', top with lettuce and tomato, and roll up.

        1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
        1 cup raw sunflower seeds
        1/2 medium red onion
        2 tablespoons tamari
        1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
        1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

        put the pumpkin and sunflower seeds in a medium bowl and cover
with water. allow to soak for 6 to 12 hours.  drain, rinse thoroughly,
and drain again.

        put the soaked seeds and all the remaining ingredients in a food
processor fitted with the metal blade.  process until smooth.  mound the
pate' in the center of a serving dish, cover, and refrigerate for at
least 1 hour before serving.
             ^
        the pate' keeps up to 3 days in the refrigerator.

        amount of u.s. corn consumed by people: 20 percent
        amount of u.s. corn consumed by livestock: 80 percent
        amount of u.s. soybeans consumed by people: 10 percent
        amount of u.s. soybeans consumed by livestock: 90 percent
        how frequently a child on earth dies as a result of malnutrition:
                                                        every 2.3 seconds

----------------end of quoted material-------------------------

bodhi's comment:  i would change a few details to make the recipe raw.
if you like games, feel free to stop reading now, go back and note parts
of the recipe i would change.
.
back already?  okay -- first of all, no cooked tortilla.  i've never made
one, but i can imagine a sprouted, dehydrated tortilla.  anyone ever had
one?

i'd specify _nama shoyu_ for the tamari.  apparently the only
unpasteurized soy sauce/tamari sold in north america.  i read it on the
label from ohsawa.  steve hurwitz, founder & director of the living foods
institute, told me he had a large part to play in bringing nama shoyu to
santa cruz.  i've seen three different sized bottles, and heard rumours
of "on-tap nama" down at stapletons.  thank you steve!

1/2 an onion?  i don't know 'bout you, but i don't like leaving cut
produce uneaten. buy a smaller onion or use twice as much of everything
else, or just appreciate the incredible good
luck/karma/grace/magnetism/?, that has provided these unique ingredients
in their unique proportions on this unique day, and smile?  gratefulness
& enjoyment, gratefulness & enjoyment... they go together.

i admit to falling into the trap of guilt-by-association.  refined white
table salt next to the black pepper has prejudiced me against this plant.
 anyone know the story on black pepper?  really raw?  i'd probably throw
in red pepper, dried by me or fresh & hot!

i've saved the best for last.  with absolutely no reference or source, i
offer this bit of folk-lore i've had the happiness to overhear.  keffi's
couldn't stay financially afloat due to two main factors:  1) poor
location, and 2) extreme generosity with feeding the local homeless
population.

with a singing heart,
                     bodhi