RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 11:54:25 +0100 (MET)
From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
> Hmmm...I don't, at least not as much as I'd hope I could. We have both
> Vonderplanitz and Burger anecdotes about their taste failing to prevent
> them from mushroom poisoning.

Burger tells in his book that some instinctos have been poisoned by
mushrooms that didn't taste particularly ugly, but that an experienced
instincto eating mushrooms when only attractive shouldn't be
endangered. Indeed, he proved himself in a public appearance that
instinct worked on mushrooms.

> Futher, just because a certain parasite does no great damage doesn't mean
> it is particularily useful.

Why not classify parasites (or microbes) in three categories:
-harmful
-indifferent
-useful?

> If a small % of parasites are problems, even to straight-edge instinctos
> and wild animals, I am not surprised.

You should read S.J. Gould's book "hens' teeth and horses' toes" (or
any other reference). Since I have only got the french translation, it
won't be easy for me to sum up the first chapter where he relates
about one of the most beautiful examples of deadly parasites:

The parasite P (small insect) paralyzes its victim V (larger insect),
and eats V's flesh bit by bit, beginning by the least essential parts
so to keep V alive as long as possible. So, for days long, the
powerless victim sees its body slowly mutilated (this kind of torture
has been used by humans too).

This is to say that nature may not be as harmonious as we wish, and to
state that humans have no predators, no harmful parasites and no
dangerous microbes seems a bit anthropocentrist to me: it reminds me
of some old speculations about the fact that the world was designed by
God for humans, and all the evil in Nature has a hidden meaning we
have to decipher because God, being perfect, cannot be cruel...

Jean-Louis TU ([log in to unmask])