RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 17:54:06 -0400
PE <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>   J I Rodale, founder of Organic Gardening magazine, thought any man
>taller than 5'7 (1.67m) risked stroke with heart action pushing blood to
>that height.

The key to what you wrote is the word "thought." Based on that all giraffes
must die of heart attacks. Here are some excerpts from Lutz, W.J., "The
Colonisation of Europe and Our Western Diseases", Medical Hypotheses, Vol.
45, pages 115-120, 1995

Generally it is thought that animal fats and cholesterol are the causes of
our civilisatory diseases. I am offering an alternative to this 'lipid
theory' suggesting that the paleolithic hunter, adapted through millions of
years to a low-carbohydrate, high-fat, high-protein diet, has not yet had
the evolutionary time to adapt to the high-carbohydrate diet of the
Neolithic farmer, and that this, not fat, largely explains the 'diseases of
civilisation'. In our evolution, we had millions of years of scavenging
with a high intake of animal fat (bone marrow and brain); the mammoths of
the last ice age delivered animal fat in considerable amounts.

[snipped...]

It is of great interest that early farmers in Greece and Turkey were five
inches shorter than their athletic paleolithic ancestors (13).

[snipped...]

What has been said about Europe and the Western world seems to hold for the
Far East as well. The cultivation of rice is older than that of grain, and
therefore the adaptation to carbohydrates is even better. But since it is
by far not complete, even the Japanese show a significant rise in longevity
under American dietary influence, that is the ingestion of more animal
protein and fat (18).

[snipped...]

13. Angel L S. Paleodemography and health. In: Polgar S, ed. Population
Ecology and Evolution. Den Haag: Mouton, 1975: 167-190.

18. Lutz W J. Lebenserwartung, was ist mit den Japanern los? Wiener Med
Wschr 1991; 7: 148

[end of article excerpts]

This entire article is 17K in length. The publisher has prohibited posting
to a list or putting on a web page. But I can e-mail it (without exhibits)
to anyone that privately e-mails me and asks for a copy.

Don.