RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 08:13:38 -0700
Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>:
>Blended salads: Is anyone here actually trying blended salads?  They seem
>to be having a very good effect on me, especially during this
>cooked-to-raw transition I'm still likely to be going through.  Anything
>particularly beneficial as far as ingredients go, to put in them?  There
>are some articles that also describe the benefits of blended salads.

Tom:
The blended salads of Dr. Bass, and the 'energy soup' of Ann Wigmore are
fairly popular in the raw foods movement.  I don't make either dish as
stated, but instead make a "raw stew", by liquifying raw celery and other
green veggies (cucumbers, cilantro), and pouring it over a bowl full of
sprouts. That works nicely for me, and others might want to experiment
with the concept. Some years ago I use to make a lot of raw soups:
celery blended with lime/lemon juice, and other ingredients. I stopped
eating that, because the lime/lemon juice was too hard on my tooth
enamel!

Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>:
>Inorganic foods: Are there raw fooders here that consume mostly inorganic
>fruits/veggies? Any comments or tips for someone who does?  Should I have
>any concerns?  Can raw-foodism exist and work well on inorganic?

Tom:
Organic foods are not required to be a successful raw fooder. A post on the
original veg-raw (1995) claimed that Viktoras reported that non-organic
fruits and veggies worked just as well as organic.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about the term organic. All it means is
that synthetic pesticides were not used on the plants. Many "natural"
pesticides (some of which are rather toxic) can be used on the plants,
as well as slaughterhouse byproducts such as fish meal emulsion, bone
meal (raising the worry of "mad cow disease"), ground feathers (as mulch),
etc. I know some raw fooders who have elevated organic to the level of
a sacrament: "there's NO excuse to not eat organic", "your food MUST be
100% organic", "you can't afford to not eat organic". All the preceding
statements are nonsense; some organic foods are high quality, others are
low quality and expensive (the example of celery comes to mind: organic
celery that is edible seems to be the exception rather than the rule.)

I consume some organic, some non-organic. I try to buy the freshest,
highest quality. Sometimes that is organic, sometimes non-organic.

Regards,
Tom Billings