RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 00:26:47 -0600 (CST)
Somehow, I got booted of the list over the weekend, and I did not
receive any mail from the list until I got wise to it and got myself
back on. Luckily, I had the digest archives.
It has just been brought to my attention that a few others have also
somehow been bounced off the list. Two of these are from France and the
one is Bruno Comby (the identity of the other I do not know yet). Until
this glitch has been has been taken care of, should any of you stop
receiving messages from the list, check out the archives and make sure
that the list is not just having a slow day. If not it means that you
are no longer a member of the list and that you need to go through the
procedure of re-joining. I am sorry for the inconvenience and trust
that the problem will be taken are of soon.
Also, I repeat my request to all of you that when responding to a
message that you mention at least once the name of the person you are
responding to and in the subject header to change the name of the topic
if the present one no longer fits.

Bruno: I found your research of testing the effects of different foods/
diets on the nervous system with the stressometer very interesting. I
was surprised, though, that a raw, vegan diet fared as well as one that
included RAF's. However, my observations of raw, vegan behavior or even
instincto to some degree does not confirm these findings. Overall "raw"
people do not seem to be more balanced than "cooked" people on cooked
diets by any standard. What am I missing? When my budget allows, I will
order one of your stressometers and do some experimenting of my own. I
find it interesting that it can also be used as a biofeedback device.
Your thoughts on insects never stop to intrigue me, but first I need to
complete my transition to RAF's. It is turning out to be a lot more
difficult than I had thought. - I will report to the list in a couple
of weeks of my progress.

Everybody: Is anyone receiving Bruno's newsletter?

Denis: I appreciate that the tone of your postings has become softer
and more conciliatory. Especially, as I do not understand the meaning
of some of your writings - there are just too many double/triple
negatives and ambiguous statements for my un-educated brain to
comprehend. However, your musings over the origins of Burger's theories
came through bright & clear, and I thank very much you for shedding
some light on a subject that has been on my mind ever since reading his
book.

Everybody: Speaking of Burger, I do not like the on-going allusions to
the allegations of sexual misconduct brought against him without
getting to the bottom of them. If nobody knows the truth, let us at
least avoid the gossip. I understand that meta included an acceptance
of pedophilia and was what got him into so much trouble. However, as
somebody pointed out to me that does not necessarily make him guilty of
sexual abuse. Does anybody know the bottom line??

Pat: Can you (or Denis) tell us some more about the work of Clara
Davis?  Did she write a book - if so what is the title and it is still
available?

Tom: I enjoyed your fermented food article. You wrote that yogurt,
unlike other fermented foods, is balancing. Would that not be the case
even more for raw kefir?

Steve: Thanks for the info on genetically engineered foods!

Jean Louis said:
>Anyway, those two phenomena (neophobia and aversion) concur with the
>statement that instinct should be reeducated. That a X is more
>palatable than Y doesn't necessarily mean that X is more beneficial:
>maybe neophobia makes Y less palatable, or maybe aversions interfere.

Great job in pointing out some of the shortcomings of instincto theory!

Jean-Louis said:
>The Essene Gospel of Peace presents very similar ideas. Maybe he
>wasn't aware of these at the very beginning of instincto, but it is
>quite possible that he has been influenced afterwards.

Would you mind elaborating?

Jean-Louis said:
>Finally, remember that "La guerre du cru" was written after 20 years
>of trials and errors, numerous conferences and discussions during
>which he was confronted to many arguments. Meanwhile, many scientific
>experiments were carried out concerning feeding preferences and
>aversions. All of that probably helped him write a very convincing
>book (although some weaknesses still remain IMO).

Great summation!

Jean-Louis said:
>Another question is: what happen to "abnormal" molecules? Do they
>really accumulate in the body? Are they eliminated after several years
>of raw diet? Burger thinks it is the case, otherwise we couldn't
>detoxify.Maybe it is a matter of concentration, the immune system
>could have the ability to eliminate a small amount of xenobiotics. We
>shouldn't forget that vegetables have invented more alkaloids,
>terpenes, sugars, etc. than all chemists on earth, and that
>metabolization products of bacteria are at least as numerous.

Great post! - Thanks for your perspective on this issue.

Kirt said:
>Sorry to see you go with such hard feelings. Hard feelings seem to be
>all too prevelant these days...

Another righteous vegan bites the dust.:-( Thanks for your words Kirt!
Believe it or not but I am still trying to get more vegans to join the
list. I refuse to believe that there are not at least a few vegans out
there willing to join our dialogue, but who do not suffer from a
persecution complex and who are able to comply with the very basic
guidelines for conduct on this list - unfortunately, the few vegans I
know in this category do not own modems.

To everybody: I will be off the list for the next 4-5 days as I am
going to attend another out-of-town convention. If you run into any
problems, Dave will be happy to help you.

Best, Peter