RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 01:34:36 -0600 (CST)
The following is a review by Frank Grazian on a piece
from the Los Angeles Times January 23.

A Colorado State University Professor of Exercise and Sport Science,
Loren Cordain, recommends that we change our diet to that of
Paleolithic humans. He bases his recommendations on some research he's
conducted. He said that, although there's no surviving genetic material
with which to compare modern and Paleolilthic humans, "most other
evidence indicates there has been relatively little genetic evolution
since the Stone Age."
He said that people should eat foods more like those available to their
ancestors. The basis of the modern "food pyramid" is cereal grains.
"Paleolithic primitive man had only wild, lean game meats and wild
vegetables. He didn't have bread. He didn't have dairy products,"
Cordain said. So, he maintains, modern humans should concentrate on
lean meat and plenty of fruit and vegetables, reducing carbohydrates,
dairy products and oily foods to concentrate on fish, chicken and "game
meat if possible."
Cordain also said that Caucasians have developed an adult lactose gene
that allows them to digest dairy products without ill effects, but that
this gene is lacking in most other races, who can't digest more than
about a cup of milk without difficulties.
Cordain also recommends much more strenuous excercise than most of us
get today. "To mimic the hunter-gatherers of the Stone Age," he said,
"you should strap a 25-pound pack on your back and run 10 miles a day."
If we do these things, he added, we can come close to optimizing health
and fitness-- and possibly freedom from the common degenerative
diseases.

Best, Peter