RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Denis PEYRAT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:13:20 +0100 (GMT)
In my opinion, anybody who purposefully hides  the historical background of
some idea  in order  to claim the merit all to himself,  deserves to be
called a "plagiarist", irrespective of whether  he  contributed or not  to
the  enrichment of the original idea. Burger, in a way,  was lucky  to fall
for an idea, the life and death of which  can be summed up as the history of
a lost cause. Obviously  his "plagiary" would have never held out so long,
had he championned  classical scientific  dogma instead of defending
"heretical"  theories .

As a matter of fact, the strong humanist and libertarian  overtone of the
"health instinct" hypothesis  made the whole concept untenable ground for
science, ever since food scientists started  collaborating massively  with
the capitalist world in the middle of the XIX c...History reveals that some
of the reasons why the  Puritan thought  has been literally trashed  by
XXthc. intellectuals, in the wake of the Prohibition disaster  has a lot in
common with the way  instincto theories are now  being "welcomed" by
mainstream science. But who does remember that some of the arguments raised
by the "dry"  against alcohol referred to some instinct being cheated by the
denaturation of grapes or cereals ? Indeed many moral philosphers had warned
that purging science of all of its anti-rationalist stances, like  french
scientists had been doing since the Revolution,  doomed any attempt of
using scientific knowledge to improve  the common lot of human beings. How
clear sighted they were...

>It has always been my opinion that Burger did not start his reflection from
scratch, or from a red cabbage  as recounted in his book. Anybody whith
little exposure to philosophy or history of ideas  knows that it is
impossible to write "La guerre du cru" with  as little reading as listed  at
the end of the book. What happened to the rest of the references  ?  Since
all or nearly all the quotations refer to first hand reports and original
research , and not reports on  reports on other people's research, one may
guess that the work accomplished to put up "La guerre du cru" has been
tremendous . Where does this appear in the bibio ? And what about the other
people involved in finding out the necessary  references ? Did  BURGER look
into this prime research litterature all  by himself  ? If he did, he didn't
pick up the right books by chance.

With some epitemological  hindsight, one realizes how extremely difficult it
must have been for somebody  previously unaware of the  details and working
principles of human food instinct, as Burger pretends he was when he started
his research, to devise  a comprehensive theoretical framework  which would
do away with  all the traps of our feeble understanding. Epistemologically
speaking, very few cases occured in history where a single person " cracked
down" several paradigms pertaining to the same issue. Simply because a
discoverer is  so much blinded by the dazzle of his first success,  that he
cannot see that  the correct  interpretation of teh first paradigm
presupposes the breaking through of  a second   paradigm .

>In the case of the "re-discovery" of the functioning of our   food
instinct, there are no less than two  paradigms to be cracked before one
gets the full picture of the problem as exposed in La guerre du Cru.  Let's
suppose  that Burger had been acquainted, at an  early stage of his search
for the Holy  Diet with  the idea that  children have a workable instinct
(I'll  call it the DKB connection  : Burger was Kousmine' patient, who has a
english speaking russian  physician trained in Swiss pediatry in the 1920's,
perfectly knew about the results of Clara  Davis' experiments on children
food instinct ) and further, that he BELIEVED in the idea of an instinct for
children and adult alike  (this belief makes him very much a citizen of
Switzerland . Burger could not have been French ...)  That would still
leave us with  two paradigms : the dualist view of the universe (the
paradigm of Good and Evil)  which foresees that instinct will work under
certain conditions, but  will fail to work under other conditions, and the
paradigm of the food spectrum ( the "Golden Age" paradigm)  which determines
the set of foods  which is likely to deceive our instinct, and by deduction,
the set  likely to fit within its original specifications.

>My conviction that Burger could not have overcome  two first category
paradigms  with his own wit and reasoning power, however sharp these might
be,  started to emerge  after several short discussions with him on
unrelated topics. I had expected to meet a man of overflowing  culture,
ready to share the tale of  his intellectual  victories .  I found none of
that . ON the contrary. The gap between the book and the man was the first
thing which set me thinking about the actual origin of Burger's theories.

>Everything I've learned on his  account since then only serves to reinforce
my conviction that  the history of the re-discovery of the human food
instinct as laid down by Burger in his book is just a dressing up of the
real story.   When we read LA guerre du Cru, we think we are reading the
story from square One, while, unknowingly,  we are being given a start from
square 2. Research being very much an iterative process, I still have doubts
on the sequence of events. But I'm almost positive that he has not yet
provided us with the main bibliographic reference  which has both inspired
his research, and laid the foundations of his early  conviction. Traits of
intellectual dishonesty can be seen in the fact that he never mentionned the
experiments carried on in the 30's on the self selection of diets by newly
weaned infants. His seeming disinterest  for the history of the idea of food
instinct is however, in the lack of definitive evidence, the best indication
that "something is cooking".

IMO, his actual contribution to the whole issue has  been "limited" to
tidying up the details and practical arrangements of the theory. This was
indeed a most important element, but of course  its  importance could hardly
have be reckoned  by non-followers, and could also hardly have  earned  him
the kind of eternal recognition his ego was demanding from his young
followers. After  several tentatives to gain acceptance for his thesis from
official circles, Burger  would have promptly lost all hopes of official
glory. In an effort to gain with  the lay public that much recognition he
had failed to secure from  his peers (Burger was himself a scientist),  he
would have been led to travesty reality. The socratic dialog form which he
used in his book  with wit and irony made it all the more easier...

This topic being essentially speculative, I will not enter into
correspondence with the  ideas developped therein. I will however  welcome
your comments.

Cheers
Denis