RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 06:22:25 -0600 (CST)

Zephyr said:
>I eat skins on avos, cherimoyas, bananas (but I don't eat mainland
>imported Williams/Cavindish/Chaquita type bananas), papayas (though
>not as regularily), and mamey.

Good to hear from you again Zephyr! Like you I enjoy eating avocados
with the skin on though they have to be the 'wild root' ungrafted kind.
It is obvious to me that the more we depend on our senses to choose our
foods,the more natural & uncorrupted these food need to be for our
senses not to be tricked, which is why I think that in the environment
most of us live in today Kirt's modified 'neo-instincto' approach makes
a lot of sense.

Zephyr said:
>I've been concerned about my health to.  This whole incident of
>returning to Cali has been painful. This morning is the first morning
>I don't feel really fucken shitty. I got a 1 1/2 hr. massage last
>night which helped bunches. I think the halibut has stuff in it my
>body doesn't like.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. It sounds like you are homesick more
than anything.

Zephyr said:
>Truth told though Kirt, I felt pretty good in Hawaii.  I don't feel I
>need some vast array of foods, what I need are high quality foods, a
>clean environ, and some descent people.  Also, I think the reality of
>living in San Diego as you describe is very stressful.  I also don't
>feel the kind of disdain for veggies you do, I eat them infrequently,
>but I really like them when I do.  Ate some snap peas out of the
>garden two days ago that were yummy and energizing, for example.

You make Santa Barbara & San Diego sound like the armpits of this
country. I thought that instinctive eating was supposed to raise our
thresholds to stress.;-) But if Santa Barbara & San Diego are that bad,
I can hardly wait to come and pay you a visit at Pangai. I dare not ask
you what you think of Santa Monica.:-) It is ironic that all over the
planet today in many aboriginal and other traditional cultures people
are sitting glued to the TV owned by the tribe or the village watching
shows like "Santa Barbara" and "Malibu" and wishing they could just
spend five minutes in what they see as the promised land, while on the
other hand we have instinctos living at these same locales and feeling
miserable because they feel cut of from their aboriginal roots living
in what they see as a terribly cold & artificial world.

Kirt saiD:
>Might the instincto a priori of "the taste-change will protect
>one from overeating a particular food" simply may be wrong more than
>right in our current circumstance?

There cannot be much doubt about this.

Zephyr said:
>Yeah, I agree also. Maybe we're too emotionally immature to trust
>ourselves here.  Ideally our organism would do that, but maybe more
>reigns would be appropriate instead of just wild riding (though it's
>so fun). Protect is interesting word, because that means the war is in
>ourselves.

One more instincto dissenter. I am seeing a trend here. :-)

Kirt said:
>More and more subtle cues are promoted as the "real" taste change, but
>for myself if, when I'm eating a food, I'm running a dialogue in my
>head about "is that the stop?" then I seem to be quite non-instinctive
>and very neo-cortically driven. Indeed, if I'm wondering about a stop,
>that itself is probably a stop since I am not entirely "consumed" with
>the pleasure of the food anymore!

Being that in tune with ones self borders on self-mastery and
enlightenment. No wonder that so many are having problems sticking to
it. :-) Maybe a more consumer friendly version of instincto will emerge
that will meet the needs of the more average and less spiritually
ambitious person like myself.

Zephyr said:
>I completely agree, I even said something like this in my book.  So
>Kirt we must learn to dwell in the radient pleasure of beingness so we
>don't seek pleasure, already feeling unhappy, in food. Maybe the error
>is in seeking pleasure in food, instead of dwelling in pleasure prior
>to that. That food is pleasurable and that is our litmus test is
>different than seeking for it from prior dissatisfaction.  So how do
>we access that prior, (probably already always present and available),
>feeling of satisfaction or bliss in being? How do we block that
>access?

Just like when we feed our bodies what they need nutritionally, when we
give them what they need emotionally, spiritually, socially etc. they
will start to detox & rebuild on each corresponding level. The
difficulty is defining what those needs are & finding good facilitators
to help us through the processes. After that the rest should be a walk
in the park. Anyway, that is the gospel according to Peter. :-)

Zephyr said:
>As you've said in your manuscript, we can't make instincto more than
>it is, a diet, it's not family, feelings, ultimate security, spiritual
>understanding, etc.  Deborah had a dog named Sabi that used to puke
>alot. One day she got it x-rayed and they found that there was a
>corncob stuck in its digestive tract. They did the operation and the
>puking stopped all together. Maybe you (and I and others) have a corn
>cob stuck in us that sabotage are best intentions towards health.
>Maybe if we identify this little monkey wrench, we can get over these
>frustrating hurdles? Just a thought.

Whatever diet we are on, it should be able to adjust to and protect us
from the ravages of stress at least so that it will empower us to find
the solutions to resolve it.

Patricia said:
>>... 8) His diet consists of 2-3 pounds of raw meat daily
>>with a some dairy and vegetable/fresh herb juices.
>Please tell me _pounds_ is a typo - here I am thinking in terms of 2-3
>ounces of raw meat once or twice a week being a giant leap!  Have I
>not been paying close enough attention?  Open mind, insert discomfort.
>Thank you very much for your summary.  patric

You read it correctly. I must admit that my reaction is also one of
disbelief, and when I connect with Aajonus again, I will ask him and
report back his reply.

Bhodi said:
>should i eat any insect that crawls within reach, trusting my
>taste?  this question goes out to france, europe, san marcos,
everywhere!

I loved your post and I thank you for your willingness to constantly
push the limits for us. However, using a little discretion and common
sense before eating your insect friends I think would be a quite
prudent. I hope you will carry on with your cutting-edge experiments,
but first I think you should follow Kirt's advice and subscribe to that
food insect newsletter. Have you thought of raising them like Bruno
did? Maybe you could start a company selling freeze-dried ground-up
insects as a food supplement?

Roy said:
>A couple of questions:
>(1) Is there such a thing as "raw butter"?
>(2) If the egg carton does not say that they are fertile or otherwise,
>what is the default?

Roy, so you bought "We Want To Live" Let us know how you like it?
Regarding your questions I am a complete novice to RAF and can
unfortunately not help you. I am concerned with some of the "raw"
cheeses having been heated in the manufacturing process. Do you or
anybody else know anything about this?

Tom said:
>The following is a combination of two separate posts on the veg-raw
>e-mail list, made back in September 1995. These posts address problems
>in storing seeds for sprouting.

Thanks for another very informative post! I noticed you did not mention
storing seeds in a freezer. I do not think this harms them as they have
a very low water content and sprout easily afterwards.
I bought the sprouting oats from Jaffe Brothers as you recommended but
find them uneatable with the husk and will go back to soaking oat
groats over night and carefully spouting them for a day.

Steve said:
>I have never tried raw eggs before and will have to do more research
>on cholesterol before I decide whether I want to try them or not.  I
>have trouble seeing myself trying other RAF (seafood might be an
>exception), although I do remember munching on raw chop meat when I
>was a kid. It seems that the longer I am a vegetarian the less
>appealing meat is. I think that I'll have to try a raw vegetarian diet
>a little while longer and see if it works. I am interested in being
>as physically fit and healthy as I can. I still have more things to
>try suchas growing my own sprouts.

I think that some people can get away with eating only small amounts of
animal foods and maybe you are one of them. But just like a renounciate
does not feel sexually attracted to women, he might deep down actually
need to be close to them, the fact that you have no attraction to
animal foods could just be a social conditioning. It sure is for me.
After 25 years of not eating meat I have no desire whatsoever to eat it
yet everything indicates that my body needs it.

Michael:  Do you eat those two raw eggs of yours seperately or mix them
with the cultured vegetables? If the former do you eat them with a
spoon or do you down them one of the time?

Best, Peter