RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pat Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:57:15 -0500
>>Pat writes:
>>... polar bear liver contained such abnormally high amounts of vit A that
>>was actually lethal; they leave the liver frozen,

> Wouldn't the
>taste-change protect them? Or was it thawed liver? Or is it like the toxic
>mushrooms--dangerous regardless of "instinct"? Or it a relative anomally of
>nature that polar bears have such toxic livers? How does a polar bear liver
>compare by analysis to, say, a caribou liver?

You have an inquisitive mind, Kirt, I relate one itty-bitty anecdote and you
barrage the cyberspace with questions.frozen thawed liver zaps the taste
change? Boa constrictors have more. (snicker) and lastly, I dunno and
furthurmore don't know where to find out.What about caribou liver?

>An even more interesting yarn is told by Dr. Weston Price about some
>landlocked northern Canadian indians, who learned to share the tiny adrenal
>glands (raw) from their hunted game amongst the tribe in order to prevent
>scurvy.

I swan!! The intelligence of the human animal in really awesome, isn't it?
Sorta suggests confirmation for the need for extra vit C  when under
physical or emotional stress, do it not?

>Except that, at least according to Schmid, we only need a small amount of
>linoleic. Research on fat has come a ways since 1970,

Oh yes, I know,Kirt, don't think I quit there---I take several snailmail
newsletters, mags (including Veg.Times and Veggie Life, as well as Health, a
library discovery--I've
always found nutrition fascinating, and actually thought if I was a mother I
should keep up with it, part of the job. I meant the point to be that the
linoleic, no matter how much, is vital, essential, and suggesting that
routine crisco-type veg. oil is not a good source at all.

> with some of the
>biggest "news" being the concentrations of EPA and DHEA in wild game and
>fatty fish.

Yep, the question is, were we meant to find out how to, and stop the speed
and decreasing biochem. levels of all these newly discovered hormones and
hormone lookalikes, enzymes, etc...and thus the debilitation of the aging
process, to work on the mind a spell before we pass on by? and if so we sure
'nuff will have to learn to care for ourselves and bury our own wastes,
'cause the the young coming from behind were'nt meant to do this in any
animal society, and the gov't sure can't/won't. It's the unique privledge of
the individual to see to him/herself, don't you think?

Oops, wrong list, 'scuse, please. ;)

Pat