RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 21:31:58 -0700
>Tom:
>A friend of mine from Florida, also a long-time raw fooder, claims that if
>you eat the citrus peel with the fruit, it will protect your teeth from the
>acids. However, truth be told, that same friend has serious dental problems -
>severely eroded tooth enamel, and gum recession. So, I think it wise to view
>his advice about eating citrus peel with considerable skepticism!

Yikes! If I start to sound like that guy, you will tap me on the shoulder,
eh? ;)

>Kirt:
>>Anyway, this makes me wonder if I (and perhaps others) go bonkers on avos
>>because, perhaps, our bodies want RAF fats and are getting fruit fats
>>instead. The avos taste rich and luscious but never satisfy in the way that
>>RAF fats do.

>Tom:
>Sounds like a real possibility to me. Some months ago I experimented,
>removing avocados from my diet, and consuming raw dairy instead (raw milk, warmed to
>about 110 degrees F - warm milk much easier to digest than refrigerator
>cold). Anyway, when I reduced raw dairy and returned to avocados, the avocados
>really didn't taste very good at all. Unless they were very ripe (soft), I found the
>avocados more difficult to digest than raw milk! Also, the avocados seemed
>to produce a lot more mucus than the raw (goat) milk did.

Well, one could make a case that avos are less natural than mammal milk,
eh? What was your overall review of your dairy experiment? Another longtime
vegan has shared with me her experiment with raw dairy (fine) and cooked
dairy (immediate trouble), but returned to vegan afterwards. I am quite
curious as to how long-time raw folks respond to RAF, since my experience
is so lopsided in that I went from SAD to instincto including RAF with only
a few months of "fit for life" inbetween. I would think that if there is as
much to RAF as I guess there is that long-time raw-vegans who experiment
would be great sources of info on the matter--but, of course, not many
longtime vegans are likely to experiment with RAF beyond the kinder,
gentler raw dairy/eggs. That's very understandable, of course.

There are a couple of formerly raw-vegan folks in M2M who appear to be
doing very well with instincto including RAF, and both already have respect
for "too much fruit" from their vegan days so they should be a step up on
it all. That said, one recently surprised me by hoping that after resolving
whatever deficiencies present with RAF they would like to return to vegan
because it is more comfortable ideologically. Here I thought _anyone_ who
experienced RAF would walk away from veganism, but that doesn't seem to be
the case among the folks I've heard about so far. Tain't nothing simplistic
in dis here world...

>Tom:
>Avocado addiction can really happen - I had it some years ago. When I first
>became a vegetarian, then shortly afterwards became a raw fooder (1970), I
>found it fairly easy to give up cooked food, though sweets were quite difficult to
>give up. I became a fruitarian, and ate avocados virtually every day.
>After some years on a diet that included avocados on a daily basis, I tried to give
>them up (as, due to circumstances, their availability was reduced and price much
>higher). With *extreme* effort, I was finally able to give them up.
>However, I found that giving up avos (after being a raw fooder for some years), was
>dramatically harder than giving up cooked foods, or even giving up sugar!
>It appears that many raw-fooders are indeed dependent on avocados.

Yeah, I was/am pretty surprised at what I am experiencing. Thanks for
sharing your story!

>Nowadays,
>I deliberately exclude avos from my diet for several weeks a year, to avoid
>becoming dependent on them. [I omit avos when their quality in the market is
>poor, and/or they are too high priced.] Addiction is addiction, the object of
>addiction is of secondary importance.

Yeah. We recently watched Drugstore Cowboy on video and were duly taken
aback. Addiction may be addiction, but I'll take avos over heroin any day
of the week...but I'd like to get this avo thing licked and it seems like
the time has come. Wish me well!

Cheers,
Kirt