RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 12:20:43 -0600
From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Jean-Louis:
>What I would like to be able to do is: to eat "normal" meals, i.e.
>proteins+vegetables and finish with *one* fruit. Unfortunately, I have
>taken bad habits. When I eat a banana, I am unable to stop and eat at least
>three.

Exactly. This is an easily formed habit when eating instincto where one is
encouraged to eat as much as they want of a fine-tasting food. It is all
well and good to say "don't eat too much sweet fruit" but then one is back
in a somewhat prescriptive mode, hardly "instinct".

One idea might be to have some honey well after the evening meal instead of
fruit if you want something sweet. The stops on good honey are more
pronounced than fruit. Kinda like a late dessert. At least for myself, I
can rarely eat more than a spoon or two of honey these days.

>I think that tomatoes are a bit too juicy and sweet. Maybe it would be
>better to combine RAF with leafy vegetables. So far, I have never
>had any problems with fish+salad, for instance.

I don't know that there is any hard and fast rule. Everyone must discover
what works for them over time. I can eat tomatoes, cukes, celery and
lettuce with impunity after RAF. Indeed, these foods seem to taste their
best then. If no RAF is attractive, then I often have a salad including
dulse and avo, and sometimes mushrooms if attractive. All combining no-nos
but it works for me.

Melisa successfully combines all sorts of stuff that I couldn't. Kefer
after fruit. Fruit after RAF. Avos after RAF.

Fruit still _tastes_ fine after RAF and/or veggies to me, but it does cause
difficult digestion. This, as I remember it, was my earliest clue that
instincto was not anywhere near a perfection: if say, oranges tasted good
after salmon, then why should they be incompatable digestively? If we can't
rely on sensory attraction as a selector after the first food is eaten, and
we can't rely on attraction as a guide to quantity (as we find in modern
fruits at the very least) then of what utility is sensory attraction.
Perhaps it is simply to make the meal taste as good as possible--but is
this all that different from the average cooked eater and his/her spices?

In the case of illness and/or serious deficiency food attractions are
probably more pronounced. But after a time instincto, I find that whatever
is in season is what tastes best for the most part. I wonder too if a
taste-change is as much an indication of satiation as it is an indication
of overeating. If a food is eaten until the stop, has one already become
overloaded with it to detriment?

>BTW, I feel that there is something wrong with the necessity to have
>complicated combination rules, to eat a fruit-only meal at noon, and no
>fruit at dinner. That makes more than 50% carbohydrates, right?

Depends on the relative size/calories of the two meals.

>But, on the other hands, Barry Sears recommends a repartition of
>40% carbohydrates, 30% lipids and 30% proteins (percentage of calories,
>not of weight), which is a low carb, high protein and moderate fat diet.
>And Tom finds his health has improved when he reduced fruit from 33% to
>10-15%.

Are there any instinctos who avoid fruit altogether? I would guess that
they get on much better than the ones eating 60%+ fruit. RAF and veggies,
even steamed, probably provide superior alimentation relative to the
average comsumption of a free-for-all instincto. One long-time instincto
remarked to me that even if fruit was discovered to be "bad for you" he
would still eat it liberally because it tasted so fine. I'm not sure I'm
not in the same boat after 8 years of liberal fruit eating :(

>Moreover, we may be more adapted to a Paleolithic-style eating, i.e.
>having little meals throughout the day, instead of having two
>large meals. I would like to do that, but unfortunately I cannot,
>because I have taken bad habits of eating too much, i.e. not stopping
>when the sensation of hunger disappears, and now the only way to
>prevent eating too much is to eat 2 meals/day, and even occasionally
>skip a meal ("instinctive fast"?)

I am returning to skipping meals for a single day every week, which I've
had good results with before.

>My short-term goal is to reduce the amount of fruit, and then, maybe
>I will experiment with more and smaller meals (I hope).

Stefan:
>> Concerning honey prices:
>> You know, that normal bees are fed artificial honey during winter
>> time.

JL:
>What do you mean by "artificial"? For me, when a product is qualified
>as "organic", animals are always fed from an organic source. Could you
>explain further? Give details about bee nutrition?

Stefan's analysis is a tad simplistic. Sound bee-keeping is based on the
principle that by providing the hive with a headstart (the wax foundations
in proper housing) and an environment of heavy bloom they are easily able
to make more honey than they need for sustinance. If the excess honey
wasn't harvested then more queens would be produced who would swarm and
start new "wild" hives elsewhere. On the other hand, if too much honey is
harvested, then the hive will starve come early spring if they weren't fed.
This feeding is often done with sugar-water and can understandably lead to
hive diseases. My understanding is that using honey as a feed is usually
frowned upon because it increases "raiding" by wasps and other bees, both
wild and domesticated. Further some beekeepers see feeding honey as
"unhygienic" because of the possibility of speading any disease (latent or
otherwise) to the new hive.

Like many modern agro-tricks, feeding sugar to overharvested hives
increases short-term profits at the expence of the long-term health of the
stock/hive/battery/etc. Serious and experienced beekeepers that I have
known and worked with in both the USA (German winters are milder than
Wisconsin's I bet) and NZ consider that overharvesting and sugar-feeding is
a bad practice and extra work as well. If a proper amount of honey is left,
the bees will take care of themselves over winter and spring until the next
bloom. If not, one is burdened with the task of feeding the hives (as well
as the extra harvesting the previous season. If however, spring weather
conditions lead to late blooms, a beekeeper has little choice but to feed
their hives until the bloom occurs. This is not the norm, however, for many
beekeepers.

The largest commercial operations bring semi-truck loads of hives to
seasonal bloom areas, some traveling from central america north following
the seasonal blooms. Though this honey is not instincto-quality because of
post-harvest treatments (heating and mixing) is isn't from sugar-fed hives.

In my experience there is plenty of ORKOS-quality honey around if one takes
the trouble to search for a good supply. Most beekeepers would be delighted
to sell folks a "super" of comb honey and one will get a price much lower
than ORKOS, or most other distributors.

Cheers,
Kirt