RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 13:35:30 -0400
From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Stefan:

> You are genetically adapted to these combinations, because in ancient
> times humans (and their predecessors, apes) harvested e.g. a durian,
> started eating it, were curious how these big cores would taste,=20
> tried them, found them eatable, so ate them.

OK, but that's not what I call a precise biochemical explanation.
I suppose that, the more foods we mix in out digestive tract, the more
different enzymes we need, and the less efficient the chemical
reactions between enzymes and their substrates become, or sth like that.
I would be interested in

 *A clear explanation why we shouldn't mix different foods
 *Why the explanation for the above doesn't work for durian flesh+durian
cores. Maybe, when we eat a durian, the adequate quantity of enzymes
is secreted, whereas, when we eat almonds+apples, our body doesn't
know how much of which enzyme to produce? I just don't have any convincing
model.

> On the other hand: having eaten mangos, then durian, I ate just one
> core of the durian. Unfortunately it mixed with the mangos and my
> digestion was considerably troubled.

Thanks for giving us an example.

Other remark: I remember that, when I ate cooked, I used to mix everything
(meat+rice+fruit), with no inconvenients. Of course, my stools didn't smell
pleasant, but I had no stomach pains, no flatulences, etc... I think that
(for me) most problems come from overeating and not from bad combinations.
What I would like to be able to do is: to eat "normal" meals, i.e.
proteins+vegetables and finish with *one* fruit. Unfortunately, I have
taken bad habits. When I eat a banana, I am unable to stop and eat at least
three.

By the way, do you classify tomatoes as vegetables or fruits? I tried to
combine fish with tomatoes, but the digestion was not very good. I am
not sure it was due to the combination, but rather that I hadn't listened
to the stop. The taste was pleasant, but my stomach disagreed, so, instead
of eating 1 tomato, I ate three, which caused a not perfect digestion
(slight abdominal pains).

I think that tomatoes are a bit too juicy and sweet. Maybe it would be
better to combine RAF with leafy vegetables. So far, I have never
had any problems with fish+salad, for instance.

BTW, I feel that there is something wrong with the necessity to have
complicated combination rules, to eat a fruit-only meal at noon, and no
fruit at dinner. That makes more than 50% carbohydrates, right?
But, on the other hands, Barry Sears recommends a repartition of
40% carbohydrates, 30% lipids and 30% proteins (percentage of calories,
not of weight), which is a low carb, high protein and moderate fat diet.
And Tom finds his health has improved when he reduced fruit from 33% to
10-15%.

Moreover, we may be more adapted to a Paleolithic-style eating, i.e.
having little meals throughout the day, instead of having two
large meals. I would like to do that, but unfortunately I cannot,
because I have taken bad habits of eating too much, i.e. not stopping
when the sensation of hunger disappears, and now the only way to
prevent eating too much is to eat 2 meals/day, and even occasionally
skip a meal ("instinctive fast"?)

My short-term goal is to reduce the amount of fruit, and then, maybe

I will experiment with more and smaller meals (I hope).
> Concerning honey prices:
> You know, that normal bees are fed artificial honey during winter
> time.

What do you mean by "artificial"? For me, when a product is qualified
as "organic", animals are always fed from an organic source. Could you
explain further? Give details about bee nutrition?

> Another factor that rises prices very very much: spoilage. Orkos'
> foods aren't experiencing    a n y    conservating treatment. So they
> are in the dilemma of harvesting the fruits as ripe as possible and
> on the other hand bringing these ripe fruits to the customer before
> spoilage ruins them. This race they loose frequently.

[Remark: the verb "to lose" has only one o. "loose" is an adjective,
which means "not tight"]

> You know, that instinctos prefer fully ripe fruits. I always complain
> at Orkos about green bananas and stone hard avocados. And I know of
> other instinctos doing the same.

That seems to contradict the previous paragraph, no?

> I don't expect Orkos to rise the wages, since the workers benefit quite
> a lot from their work beneath the immediate paying aspect. This benefit
> is difficult to express in marks and pfennigs and will always be subject
> of discussions. Anyway, personally I don't see the Orkos' employees
> to be exploited (employees - exploited - I'm near to word games here
> and this in a language foreign to me - fantastic :-))

You can have slaves, and treat them pretty well (give them a
comfortable house, high-quality food). And still it would be slavery.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis