RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 03:51:08 -0500
From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
>Thanks for saying so.  It's nice not to be the only one who objects to
>being considered a pitiful neurotic just because my sympathies extend
>beyond my own species.

Just like there is nothing pitiful about being neurotic, there is
nothing virtuous about living in denial of ones own nature & heritage.

>I do agree with Stefan that this is a problem not just for veg.'s but
>for anybody whose ethical standards are more stringent than the
>majority's.

I agree with Stefan as well. But if being more stringent also means
being more intolerant and fanatical, I do not see what has been gained.

Peter:
>People who think that nudity and premarital sex is a sin can be the
>>nicest and most honorable persons you could meet but it does not
>>change my opinion that expressed in their views they have a lot of
>>unresolved personal issues to deal with.

Martha:
>Peter, I am nearly non-plussed.  These attitudes are usually based on
>belief in a religion.

Often, but not always. Born and raised in a country where religious
people are a small minority, I can testify to this. Besides, most
ethical vegans are very occupied with spiritual/religious matters.

>Are you now saying that belief in religion represents
>unresolved personal issues?

No, that is not the point I was trying to make even though I do find it
to be the case more often than not.

> Are you a psychologist, or can I take your
>analyses with a grain of Celtic salt?

If I were you would probably have needed to. However, since I am not,
you can pass on the salt and take my words to the bank. ;-)

>Anyway, this is sort of apples and oranges, since this analogy is
>about morality based on religious belief, whereas the original issue
>is ethics based on an emotion (compassion).

I believe that if we take a deeper look at these issues, the lines get
blurred real fast and what you call compassion is often displaced
hysteria. If the main drive behind ethical veganism indeed was pure
compassion, its proponents would be more tolerant of those who
disagreed with them and they would take a little more care to base
their views on facts and not fantasy.

>Is this a "Freudian typo," given the above topic?   :-)

I cannot talk myself out of this one. :-)

Best, Peter