RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 13:20:08 -0700

Martha Seagoe <[log in to unmask]>:
>If one finds him/herself motivated by negative emotions, how would you
>recommend correcting this problem?

Tom:
The 'Yoga Sutras of Patanjali', a classic text in yoga, recommends the practice
of pratipaksha bhavana: when one thinks of negative thoughts, simply think
("pour in") positive thoughts; also think of the ultimate consequences of
negative thoughts (pain).

More practically, you might find deep breathing, meditation, yoga, sangha
(spiritual community), other spiritual practices to be helpful. The practice
of witnessing the mind (observe thoughts and emotions they produce) may be
helpful here as well. Cultivate the positive in your life, and the negative
part will wither like neglected plants.

Tom:
>>8) (snip) ...Eating may become an exercise in perfectionism, with low
>>self-esteem because we backslide and eat "improper" foods. This type
>>of behavior and attitude are factors in eating disorders (anorexia,
>>bulimia), and we should avoid such attitudes/behavior.

Martha Seagoe <[log in to unmask]>:
>Again, you have well defined a problem.  Do you have any suggestions
>in cases where perfectionism & resulting low self-esteem is a problem?

Tom:
Self-analysis may work for some here. Others might need counselling - formal
therapy, or the advice of a friend/loved one who tells them they have a
problem. Awareness of a problem is the first step towards a solution. The
difficulty in the raw movement is that so many of us are attached to dogma or
ideology, and/or we are in denial about our problems.

Tom:
>>(snip) ... the raw food books available range from very good to
>>unspeakably bad.

Martha Seagoe <[log in to unmask]>:
>What in your opinion are, say, the three best books, for the lay person.

Tom:
The best (in my opinion):
Conscious Eating by Gabriel Cousens

Living Foods for Optimal Health, by Brian Clement
and a tie - Survival by Viktoras, and Rebuild Your Health by Ann Wigmore.
Survival is dated - the "hippie" stuff is outmoded, and the fruitarian info
is now discredited. However, there is still a lot of good info in it.
Rebuild Your Health is Dr. Ann's last book - concise, but a bit narrow in focus.

The worst, or the unspeakably bad (in my opinion):
what else? The NFL book.

Martha Seagoe <[log in to unmask]>:
>Thanks again, Tom.

Tom:
Thanks for your kind words, and your questions! I also appreciate your
comments on the "Festival of Pure Food" post.

Regards,
Tom Billings