RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 02:55:50 -0800
Roy said:
>I realize that anopsology is an approach rather than a diet. Still,
>I'm interested in finding out if a anopsologist could somehow "steer"
>themselves to being more in tune with the zone principle.

That would be very interesting. I feel very strongly for both
approaches and will probably be trying some hybrid of the two a little
later this year.

Roy said:
>[BTW, the Sproutman advocated only eating seed sprouts. He was really
>against sprouting larger legumes and stuff, such as garbanzo.
>I used to love raw hummus made out of sprouted garbanzo.
>I don't remember exactly, but I think the Sproutman's objections to
>raw, sprouted garbanzo was more from the stand point of digestability
>rather than the natural toxin content. But I'm not sure.
>I don't care, since I have no trouble digesting them. But I really
>enjoyed talking to the Sproutman. He is not a total raw foodist,
>but recommends a mostly raw diet with small quantities of cooked
>food.]

Great story! Maybe I can fill in a few of the blanks with an excerpt
from his book "Recipes from the Sproutman" p.118-119.
"Some of you may be wondering why chick pea sprouts have to be cooked
at all. You probably learned that vitamins and enzymes are destroyed
when a sprout is cooked. This is true for many sprouts but not all.
Chick peas, soy beans, and other big beans must be cooked because they
are too difficult to digest raw, even when sprouted. Just as you would
not eat raw beans, you should not eat raw bean sprouts. Alfalfa and all
green leafy sprouts, on the other hand, should never be cooked. They
are delicate, easy to digest foods and cooking them would be the
equivalent of cooking lettuce. Small beans such as mung and lentil can
be eaten as raw sprouts in moderate quantities. Quantity is also the
issue here. You can easily digest a few chickpea sprouts raw. But
making hummus involves eating hundreds of beans.
The process of cooking sprouted beans is much less destructive to
nutritional content than when cooking regular beans. Because sprouts
are soft and moist, they can be cooked at lower temperatures and for
less time. Here is simple cooking procedure: Cover the sprouts with
water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. This low
temperature/long term cooking is much more gentle than that required
for cooking regular beans and preserves more of the valuable nutrients.
Also keep in mind that the multiplication of vitamins resulting from
the germination process.

James said:
>I've been doing a non-raw zone diet for about a month now and I do
>have some observations positive and negative to report:
>1. increased alertness
>2. increased energy
>3. reduced need for sleep
>4. some bodyfat loss (I could lose 10-15 pounds)

Congratulations! I hope to experience some of the same effects when I
give the zone a try soon.

James said:
>I don't know if the latter is related, but I have DRASTICALLY
>increased my protien intake by going on the Zone diet.  I'm seriously
>considering moving my Zone more towards raw to see how that affects
>things. I think some of the CAF are not too good for me.  :-)  It's
>been a couple of decades since I ate CAF.  I feel strange doing it.

I look forward to hearing reports from this experiment especially as I
in a short while will be going down that road myself.

James said:
>I grew up on a dairy farm and on raw milk.  I think that if you
>carefully choose the source of your dairy, you can avoid a lot of the
>modern pitfalls.  According to what I've been reading in "Enter the
>Zone", there's a lot of good stuff in grass-fed dairy...

I agree. I have yet to see a reference that shows that there are any
serious effects from eating raw dairy. Lacto intolerance is caused when
the enzyme lactase is killed during the pasteurizing process rendering
the milk difficult to digest especially for people who do not carry
this enzyme.

Pat said:
>Deepak Chopra comes to mind: trained in ayurvedic and western
>medicine both, and teaching same at Boston U, his approach is seen as
>bizarre by many, yet it is well grounded and experienced. He or one
>like him would be perfect to order the tests Kirt suggests, and
>explain, for instance, that normal calcium values in the biochem. SMAC
>tests are meaningless as to bone health. That the CBC (complete blood
>count) test(with hematocrit and hemoglobin often  desperately low with
>beginning vegetarians) and stucture and percentage of various blood
>cell constitutients,and urinalysis tests to see if abnormal crystals
>are present, could save serious but unnecessary mis-steps, even
>physically and monetarialy expensive hospitalization, as has happened
>to two young people, children of friends of mine.

Pat, I am glad to have you with us and find your scientific bent and
dry sense of humor very refreshing. Question: I have been a vegetarian
for 25 years with periods of cooked/raw vegan in between, and I have
decided now to introduce some RAF's to my diet. Before I do that I want
to have some blood tests done so I can monitor my progress. Are their
any specific tests that you think would be relevant for me to take? Any
input would be much appreciated.

Kelly said:
>If all goes well, I'll be enrolled at Southwest College of
>Naturopathic Medicine (which is located in Tempe, AZ, for the person
>who inquired about this in a recent post) this fall or the following
>spring

I am glad that Kirt lured you out of "lurkdom." From reading your
astute observations I see that not much of the activity on the list has
escaped your attention, and I look forward to future contributions from
you. I have a few questions about the Southwest College: 1) How old is
the college? 2)Is it any cheaper, and if so how much, than the two
naturopathic colleges in the WA & OR and how does its philosophy
differ?

Sol said:
>3. How does wheatgrass compare to barleygrass in terms of nutrients
>and purported health benefits?

I personally do not believe there is much to speak of, but instead of
wracking my brain over the issue I usually choose green powders that
include both.

Sol said:
>2. Is there any data comparing, say, 3 day old refrigerated wheatgrass
>to a "good" brand of bottled wheatgrass, again, in terms of enzyme and
>nutrient loss?

I believe The "Pines Wheatgrass" people out of Kansas have done some
studies comparing the nutrients in dried versus fresh wheat grass
juice." Ronald L. Seibold, who wrote "Cereal Grass" is the owner of
Pines. The "Green Kamut" outfit out of Utah have done some analysis of
their product also.

Axel said:
>1) What is the difference between wild and cultivated greens, lettuce,
>celery, etc?
>2) What about something like carrots, pumpkins, squashes, beets? I
>guess the wild ones are not so sweet.
>3) What about potatoes, sweet potatoes, grains?
>4) What about the nutritional value of wild fruits?

I love your questions as they have been close to my heart for quite a
while now. Aside from botanists not many know the answers to these
questions. Tom is the closest I have come to somebody having answers to
some of them.

Axel said:
>Is there any truth to Walker=B4s discovery of our ancestors living on
>mostly fruit, but on a much more concentrated, fibrous kind of fruit?

Who is Walker=B4s?

Axel said:
>Do they have more minerals and vitamins? More trace elements (I guess
>this depends of the level of mineralization of the place where they
>grow, and according to the Remineralization movement, even untouched
>forest are at an all-time lowest).

It is a matter of degree I am sure. My guess is that the soils in the
remote parts of Siberia and the Amazon would be the least depleted.

Michael said:
>Just a small clarification here as the sugar issue has come up in some
>of the other posts.  I generally mix the fruit/carrots with seeds in a
>single meal to slow the sugar assimilation.  And I eat cultured
>vegetables regularly to prevent/reduce candida problems.

Michael, I am enjoying a lot of cultured vegetables these days.
"Rejuvenated Foods" out of Santa Cruz has a great line of organic,
cultured vegetables in the stores here in California. They are
supposedly good for restoring the balance of the intestinal flora, and
I am glad for the reminder of how that might help with candida. Eating
cultured vegetables also seems to cut down on my cravings for fruits.

Christian said:
>I was very suprised to get *taste stops* from beets and
>potatoes prepared this way. With "conventionally" steamed veggies I
>was overeating all the time...

Interesting. A friend of mine also gets stops with cooked foods.

Christian said:
>Hopefully I have not bored everybody with this long posting.

On the contrary it was exciting & inspiring reading.

Christian said:
>It would be very interesting if anybody else has this inability to eat
>cooked stuff, too.

It sure would. By showing such strong reactions to cooked foods your
body is definitely giving you strong indications of what it does not
want. That and the speed by which you recover when back on raw foods
show that you have a lot of "kick" & rebound in your system and that
would by many be considered as one of the hallmarks of a vital and
uncorrupted organism.

Best, Peter