RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 14:49:09 -0700
Axel:
>>1) I dont want to have a fruitarian diet, I want to have a good diet, if
>>the cause, or one of the causes of my current state of health is eating
>>unnaturally sweet foods. I wouldn't have any problem giving up fruits
>>altoghether. Wouldn't this be the most sensible thing, after all? It
>> puzzles me to read and learn so many negative things about currently available
>>fruits, and hear that people who understand this keep eating them. Do I NEED
>>this fruits at all?

Tom:
>Strictly speaking, you don't need to eat fruits. One can live on sprouts
>alone, or on a mono-diet, or on a diet of sprouts and vegetables alone.
>The more restricted the diet, the more boring it is, which can cause
>problems in the long run - most of us like some variety in life, and in our
>diets.

The various restricted raw diets make (or perhaps will make) an interesting
case for themselves. Traditional Eskimos ate over 90% RAF (often thawed),
but were relatively short-lived (about 60 years on average? by memory). By
all reports, they enjoyed a very high-quality life during those years,
which included feats of strength and endurance which would be the envy of
many Olympic athletes). If a fruitarian (over 90% fruit) culture ever
develops, it will be interesting to compare/contrast it to other similarly
unbalanced diets such as the Eskimo.

Tom, I have heard of sproutarians, but have never met one. Do you find any
rawsters living exclusively on the diets of spouts only, or on sprouts and
veggies, that you mention above? Do they seem to favor any supplements? I
am fascinated since I find sprouts the least attractive of many veggies
(which I'm not too thrilled about either:)) when eaten instinctively. What
about fats in such a diet? Are the practitioners as gaunt in general as
fruitarians?

Excuse the barrage of questions, but I suspect that you, being part of the
San Francisco raw scene (perhaps the largest in the world, eh?), have as
much knowledge of (and interaction with) practitioners of various
approaches as anyone can have these days...

Baffled by sprouts,
Kirt