RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 22:09:16 -0400
Michele, please post more of the interview with Viktoras; it's interesting!

A few quick comments on the post:

* only unhulled oats will really sprout, i.e., develop a root sprout. It is
difficult to find unhulled oats, and the "whole oats" sold are hulled and
don't really sprout. They can be soaked as Viktoras suggests, and they
will spoil if soaked/sprouted too long, as you reported.

* Interesting that Viktoras now deemphasizes raw fruits and veggies, as
his famous "Survival.." book (and his other books) discuss fruitarianism
at length.
Viktoras gave a workshop last year at the Whole Life Expo in San Francisco;
I didn't attend but a friend who did reported that Viktoras currently
advocates taking enzyme pills, algae supplements, and fungus (Kombucha?
I didn't ask for details on that). I did hear Viktoras briefly at a (free)
discussion panel at the Expo. He briefly described the approach given in
your post but the subject of gaining/maintaining weight was not discussed.

I would also mention that Viktoras said at the panel that he was 55; he
had the energy of a 35 year old, but the gray hair and numerous wrinkles of
a 75 year old (i.e., in my opinion he looked 75). This is for information,
and should not be interpreted as a criticism.

* an interesting quote from Viktoras "Survival.." book, pg. 71, "Sprouted
grains are slightly acid and mucus-forming; it is best to grow them for 4
to 8 days and use only the shoots."

Anyway, thanks for the interesting post, and I encourage you to post more
from the interview!

Tom Billings