RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 22:03:42 -0400
I have observed that most 100% raw fooders are very thin. This applies to
all types of raw fooders, and is based on observation of fruitarians, natural
hygienists, and Ann Wigmore style sproutarians. My case is an example; except
for one cup of herb tea a day, I eat 100% raw, and  am 6'1" (185 cm) tall, and
weigh only 130 pounds (59 kg).

My personal observation is that most raw fooders with "normal" body weight
usually are in one of these categories:
1) 80% or less raw, remainder cooked foods (i.e., not 100% raw)
2) people who overeat to maintain their weight
3) people who eat a lot of concentrated fermented foods - seed cheeses,
   almond cream
4) "new" raw fooders (on diet for short time only), who haven't lost much
    weight yet

I can increase my weight by eating *lots* of dates and nuts; however such a
diet has side effects (nuts: feeling of heaviness, difficult to digest,
acidity; dates: sugar cravings, excess stomach acidity, flatulence). Also,
when I stop eating dates and nuts the weight gained is lost quickly.

Many years ago my weight dropped to dangerous levels, and I regained weight
then by eating lots of lentil sprouts and tomatoes. For various reasons, that
approach is not appropriate for me today.  Certain raw foods can help you to
gain weight, primarily oily foods: avocadoes, coconuts, soaked nuts, sprouted
sesame, and even sprout milk made with sprouted/soaked nuts. However these
foods are relatively filling, and one can eat only so much of them before one
gets that heavy/full feeling.

One other note - the thyroid gland regulates your metabolism and thereby your
weight. Two yoga poses - shoulderstand (and variations) and the fish pose,
contract and stretch the thyroid, sending it a fresh blood supply. I do
these poses daily but am still rather thin.

Anyway, thought I would mention this to the mailing list, and see if others had
different ideas regarding maintaining weight. Note that one shouldn't be
worried about body weight, if one feels good and has energy. Being thin is not
a problem unless it reduces your health or energy. Still, concerns about
maintaining an "appropriate" body weight are of interest to some underweight
raw fooders.

Others are welcome to comment on this topic.

Tom Billings