RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David R. Mayne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 23:53:22 -0400
> I don't eat desserts very often, but I like to have them to offer dinner
> guests.  What are some appropriate ways to prepare raw food desserts that
> are healthy, tasty and festive?

> any and all recipes will be greatly appreciated.

One of my most simplest delight on occasion is making "ice cream" from
frozen bananas. I use a champion juicer with the homogenizing plate in
place, and it comes out in a perfect creamy tecture. You can get by
without the champion by using a blender or food processor and mixing
a little liquid (such as soak water from dried fruit) with the frozen
fruit.

I have also made raw "carrot cakes", and have progressively gotten better.
They taste nothing like the cooked counterpart, but I have been able to
get folks to eat it an even enjoy it (at least they say :^) ). Raw
cookies/energy bars, using soaked and dried nuts and honey to hold
together sometimes work out well too.

If you can get a hold of some ripe persimmons, I have a recipe for raw
persimmon pudding which I rather enjoy. The persimmons must be
*absolutely* ripe, however.

Also, you can make some impressive raw food pies, generally by soaking
almonds, waltnuts, etc, drying, and grinding with a dried fruit to form
a crust, and then pureing (sp) some fruit as a filling. You can then
use some coconut or slices of sliced fruit for a topping.

However, recently, I have come to use more simpler approaches to dessert
in such circumstances. I may prepare something like above, but I will
usually try to come up with something like a watermellon, especially
in the summer. Although I know it does not combine with other foods well,
watermellon is something that many enjoy as it is without prep, and I
am thus able to enjoy a raw dessert with the rest of the folks. Also,
an arrangemnt of in season fruits which is both aesthetically pleasing
and tasteful may compliment anything else.

Most, if not all of the raw food recipe books in the veg-raw ftp area
have some desserts. For a entire book devoted to desserts, check out
SWEET TEMPTATIONS, by Frances Kendall - the 230 pages of recipes are raw
(well, some call for a dehydrator).

Best of wishes,

David Mayne