RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 1995 12:03:49 -0400
From:
Michael Clingman <[log in to unmask]>
On Tue, 19 Sep 1995 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Michael Clingman et al --
> I hope that, after you have collected the data on these raw foods
> restaurants, you will submit them to the World Guide to Vegetariam for
> inclusion, in some suitable form.

> - Maynard S. Clark

ok, except:

1) So far there have been no responses :-(

2) How do I access or contact the World Guide to Vegetarianism?

In Bethesda (located near the District of Columbia) there used to be a
raw foods restaurant called "Green City".  However it went out of
business a few monthes ago.  If I recall it was owned by a chef who had
worked for many years at the Hippocrates Institute.  There is some talk
that it may reopen.

Also in the District of Columbia is a cafe called "Delights of the
Garden" which is located across from Howard University.  It originally
opened as a restaurant in a nicer area and, like Green City, got
favorable reviews in the press.  They use a lot of couscous (cush?) which
they claim is uncooked.  The food is spicy and tasty.  I found it hard to
believe that the couscous was really raw but it did not give me the tired
feeling that I usually get after eating cooked food.  According to a
friend who lives in D.C. the area it is in is relatively safe though it
is surrounded by bad areas.  When I went to check it out I was fortunate
to find a parking space across the street.  If I had not found such close
parking I probably would have not stopped.

In Philadelphia there was a place called Afreeya's which is listed in the
Vegetarian Journal's "Guide to Natural Foods Restaurants in the U.S. and
Canada".  However it had moved locations when we were visiting
Philadelphia about two or three years age.  We got no reponse from the
phone number in the guide but happened to see a sign for it while walking
on a Sunday.  Unfortunately it was closed and we were leaving town that
night.  That location was at Bellevue Food Court at Broad and Walnut
(215-848-5006).  I have since heard that it may have gone out of business.

On a trip to New York last winter I was surprised to find no raw foods
restaurants.  I had figured that a city as large as New York would have
enough of a population to support a raw foods restaurant but this doesn't
seem to be the case.  There were no listings in the guide.  One
restaurant called Luma was listed in an old Hippocrates News journal as
offering "living food specialties" if you called ahead.  When we called
we were told the restaurant was no longer vegetarion.  Asking around
produced no evidence of any raw foods restaurants.

The best place to eat that we found was Angelica's Kitchen (300 E. 12th
st.) where one can order millet with steamed vegetables.  They also have
home made pickles and sauerkraut.  The prices were reasonable,
especially for New York, and the atmosphere is relaxed though it does get
crowded.

My experience with Green City was that the food was very tasty but I
could prepare healthier cheaper (though less interesting) food at home.
Since I live in Baltimore it took almost an hour to get there so it was
hard to justify frequent visits.  However it did make it convenient to
go to events in D.C. after work.

Michael Clingman