RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 00:37:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:
Michael Clingman <[log in to unmask]>
On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Ward Nicholson wrote:

> Submitted to veg-raw by: Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>

> Hi Peter, thanks for the plug for the NH M2M. As its publisher and
> coordinator, I've been hesitant to advertise here for fear of crashing
> someone else's party and the internet ethic of "no advertising" in email
> groups. But I felt I owed you a thanks here for the mention. While I'm on
> the topic, though, I might mention to other Veg-Raw participants here that
> since a few M2M participants have dropped out either due to burn-out or
> life circumstances the last few issues, even though the page count has
> remained very high due to heavy participation by existing members I would
> like to see a few new writers to replace the ones who have dropped, to
> maintain diversity. Anyone here interested, just query me in private email.
> (I don't think it would be appropriate to have an extended discussion on
> the list itself, and maybe this invitation here is not even appropriate.)

Why don't you send me the info and I will post it on the web site and
announce where it is.

> Anyway, to get into much more depth here about my own views about a total
> raw-food diet I feel would only create acrimony and hard feelings here on
> Veg-Raw, which seems to be a moral support group for raw-food enthusiasts
> just as much as it is a discussion group. I wouldn't want to spoil that,
> and generally am not one to voice my opinions more than once in a forum
> where I anticipate they would not be welcome.

Personally I would be very interested to hear what people have to say on
this issue.  However I can understand your discomfort in bringing up this
topic.

By the mailing list statement of purpose it is well within the bounds of
acceptable discussion for the list.  Whether some people might take
offense or find the discussion troubling, I don't know.

The all raw diet has been a
topic of debate for a number of months in the Natural Hygiene "Health
Science" magazine.  The Natural Hygiene Society, based on their experience
with large numbers of people, is recommending against an all raw diet.  A
number of their readers are opposed to this stance.

As far as I know there are very few people who have stuck with 100% raw
foods for an extended length of time.  I have met a fair number of people
who tried it but did not stick with it.  I also know some people on 100%
raw diets but they have not been on them for more than a few years.  I
know one person who claims to be all raw for about 8 years.

Even Victor Kulvinskas had a hard time sticking with it.  He had problems
with bingeing.  Now he is all raw except he uses the blue-green algae.  I
think its questionable whether the algae can really be considered raw.

Michael