Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:00:35 -0700

Hi All,
I have tried, unsuccessfully,  to find the reference, but I am sure it is
in _Not All In The Mind_ by Dr. Richard Mackarness. As I remember it, he
states that cigarette smoke alters ph (reducing acidity) at the cellular
level, in the digestive tract and in the lungs.

Althoug this runs contrary to part of my own experience, as my stomach
seemed more acid after a cigarette, the rest fits. I was dx'd 5 months
after quitting smoking, and my cd symptoms were definitely worse during that
period.

I also used to cough up a little blood, from time-to-time, but nothing
serious. I have had a couple of serious bouts of pulmonary bleeding,
since going g-f. I now think that I may have breathed some flour dust
both times.

I breathed lots of flour before dx'd and had no such problem.

Apparently the ph level has a lot to do with inflammation and
permeability at the cellular level.

I don't know about the biochemistry, but I do know that most of it fits
with my experience.

I hope that is helpful.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan