From:
Javier Alzerreca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 20:03:15 +0000

Ted Wolff wrote:

> All the list members and their friends and other celiac fellows aggree to
> each spend a one time fee of around $300 to $ 500 US dollars into a
> universal international Celiac Cereal manufactury.

I think this is a good idea. Only united, us celiacs, we will be able to
solve our problems, most of them anyway.

I was thinking in a similar idea:

1. Very often I see post that asks for the status of a pain reliever
(Advil) or some common baking product.

2. We often call the company and report that status in the list,
sometimes two different reports disagree. I think most of us, sometimes,
we don't trust the companies answers anyway.

3. What if we make a list of the things we NEED for survival, 1 pain
reliever, 1 multivitamin suplement, one cold and flu over the counter
pill, etc, etc. These have to be easily available for everyone,
everywhere. This list can become extensive including butter, honey,
milk, etc. But it should be based on a ranking of most wanted to least
wanted by us.

4. We test them ourselfs! I know that kits for detecting gluten exist
for sale. If each member of the list spends much less than a dollar, we
buy 1 kit or more and the "groceries". One by one, each item is tested
and the results are reported to the list. How about that?

I'm qualified to do this type of work. I've been working on a
biotechnology lab for 3 years, I'm on a M.S. degree in Soil
Science/Molecular Biology. Besides, the kit should be very easy.

Now, if someone could tell me how to work this out, I'll gladly accept
any suggestions!

More ideas:

A note for everyone and especially for the list owners:

I feel it is important to get some statistic numbers from all list
members. Things that might help to see some trends. I say this because
for example someone wanted to know what alcoholic drinks are safe for
celiacs. If the list owners could manage to process email answers, we
could do something like a survey.

Something like this:

Answer Y or N

Do you drink
1. vodka
2. red wine
3. rum

Then we can answer:

1. Y
2. N
3. Y

The computer cranks the data and says:

68% = vodka
12% = red wine
20% = rum

(I'm making the whole thing up, of course)

based on this we can say that vodka seems safe overall.

This might work very nicely also with other things: We can find out what
is the preferred pain reliever, how many celiacs are left handed, things
that need input from a big group like us to get appropiate answers.

I have no objection in filling short surveys once in a while.