RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 1995 14:57:03 -0400
From:
in the past I have stored sesame seeds for sprouting at room temperature
in airtight glass or plastic containers. I have never had any go rancid,
and no insect problems - until now.  A few months ago I purchased some
black sesame seeds at an Indian store; they sprout nicely and have good
flavor.

However it appears now that they have a minor insect infestation.
Fortunately, it's not weevils but small worms which spin webs in the seeds,
forming clumps. This makes it easy to remove them - just sift out the
clumps.  I have refrigerated them (they are in glass jars) and will sift
them to remove any larvae. Will keep them refrigerated from here on, to
hopefully prevent or discourage further infestation.

The moral of the story is to refrigerate seeds that pose a significant
risk of infestation. Also keep them in glass or plastic jars to prevent
bugs from eating through bags and getting into other seeds. It is
desireable to refrigerate any oily seeds - sesame, sunflower, nuts, to
prevent rancidity.  Of course one has only so much refrigerator space,
and many raw foods need refrigeration at some time or other before they
are eaten.

Tom Billings