From:
"Marne L. Platt, VMD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 21:41:35 -0400

Dear Listers-the response to question about survivng as a business
traveller was fantastic! Here's a summary:

Plane Trips: Candy bars, fruit, rice cakes, dried fruit, nuts, trail mix,
baby carrots, corn chips, GF breakfast bars (G foods or Clintec) Most
people said to either avoid GF plane meals (order vegetarian was 1
suggestion) or just check them over carefully, as GF seems to be a
mysterious term to the airline caterers!

Short Trips: GF cookies, instant Cream of rice or grits and a small hot
pot, GF cereal w/powdered milk, were all things that people packed.
(general consensus seems to be that breakfast is the hardest meal to "do"
on the road)

Eating Out: Avoid fast food chains (although someone recommended MCDonalds
for breakfast, for their GF HAsh Browns. I did not attempt to confirm
that). Eat in nicer restaurants; call ahead to speak with chef/conference
orgaizers; order sandwich without bread; plain grilled meat and veggies;
poached fish or shrimp cocktail; try ethnic restaurants; ask questions of
the wait staff (many people seem to have done without restaurant cards);
salds, eggs, hash browns, grocery store buffets, polenta were all
suggested. Also, it was noted that most chains (TGIF, Bennigan's, etc) have
some safew options, but be sure to ask if meat is marinated before grilling.

Specific Suggestions: Four Seasons in Newport, CA; Legal Seafood in Boston;
Bistro 100 in Charlotte, NC; Wendy's Taco Salad; Clintec Soup packets and
nutrition bars (1-800-422-2752); Marriott Hotels (According to a former
restaurant auditor for MArriott, there is no MSG used, and the corporate
culture prides itself on service); Pyewacket in Chapel Hill, NC; Magnolia
Grill in Durham, NC; _Against the Grain_ by Jax Peters Lowell for travel
tips; Wellspring Groceries/Whole Foods/ Fresh Fields Supermarkets (all over
the place); Hampton Inns (good breakfast Buffet); "My Own Meals"  PO box
334, Deerfield, Ill. 847-948-1118 (10 0z complete GF meals at $4 apiece-no
reviews on how they taste, though); contact local groups before going
someplace; eat lots of GF bread at home to head off cravings while on the
road; try to stay at hotels with kitchenettes; bring your own salad
dressing.

And last but not least, Jeff Golden's wonderful list that he posted for all
of us a few days ago(backpacking, biking, briefcase foods list).

Everyone was really helpful. Special thanks to all of you who gave me your
phone #'s in case I end up in your area, and to everyone who wished me
success in my new adventures. If any more rsponses come in, I'll post them
too. For now, i've got to prepare-my first trip[ is to Atlanta May 4-8.
Thanks again, everyone!-MArne in NJ