From:
Elizabeth Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 21:39:06 -0500

Hello, everyone, and greetings from the very soggy Northwest!
My 17-year old GF daughter and I have been lurking and enjoying the postings
for a couple months.  But now I have some questions that maybe someone could
help with.

Has anyone heard of IgA antibody testing done using saliva ("spit test")?  A
friend who suffers from chronic fatigue syndrome and irritable bowel syndrome
has as her primary care provider a naturopathic physician, who has had an
"adrenal stress index" done by a lab called DiagnosTech in Kent, Washington.
 Included in the test readings was one for IgA antibodies with written
information stating that elevated levels (13-15 being normal) was indicative
of celiac disease.  The spit test was done at a time when the friend had been
eating very little gluten, and her level was way below normal.  Has anyone
else heard of this method of testing antibody levels?  Are the results
reliable (assuming the test was done at a time when gluten ingestion was at a
normal (not gluten-restricted level)?

Thanks for any help or information.

Mariha (the mom) and  Elizabeth (the 17-year old)