RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:09:31 -0700
Ward writes:
>(In The Chimpanzees of Gombe, p. 248, Goodall also notes that the
>lipid (fat) content of the insects may be one reason why they are regularly
>eaten in addition to the animal protein content.)

Yeah! I've always found it a bit puzzling why protien was always expounded
on and fat was rarely mentioned by nutritionists, et al.(though recently
one hears more about EFA's). The standard line is that our cells are made
of protein, that protein is the "building blocks" of our body, but it is my
understanding that cell walls are constructed of webs of fat molecules as
well as proteins. (Anybody have info about how much of the bodies
construction is "articulated fat" as contrasted to the "storage fat" which
varies so much. There is surely something to the essential amino acid
requirements, but how much have most people heard of EFA "requirements" in
comparison?

Relatedly, I see humans as having sweet tooths and fat tooths, but where
are the protein teeth? :) There is some anecdotal stuff about Stefanson
(the Eskimo diet/arctic traveler guy) falling apart on a diet of lean meat,
and returning to form when fattier portions and organs were included. Some
folks at the instincto Chateau outside Paris would trim away the meat so
they could eat the fat! Indeed, I search for the belly meat/fat of any
animal over the tenderloin (which the Eskimos apparently fed to their dogs
considering it a subpar portion). Marbling is almost always bad fat (by
flavor and quickness to go rancid) but the fat layer between the muscle and
the skin is the real McCoy. (The food combining bit about fat vs protein at
a single meal is not born out in any RAF experience I've ever had or heard
of.)

In my experience, protein serves to flavor the fat. The richness attractive
in RAF is probably in large part due to lipids...

Blah blah blah,
Kirt