RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 1996 22:14:08
From:
Douglas Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Bob wrote:
>Well, I measure my body temp first thing upon waking in the
> morning.  Anywater drinking comes later, but usually before noon.
> So the time lag between drinking and temp measuring is 16-23 hours.

Be aware that there are diurnal body temp. cycles, lowest before
dawn & highest in late afternoon/early evening.  To be valid, you
have to take the temp. at the same time each day.

> I  noticed it too while fasting this Feb/Mar.  I wasn't thirsty during most of
> this fast and felt I had to force myself to drink some water to avoid
> dehydration.

I think this is a mistake, as when fat is metabolized CO2 & water
are the result.  I just go with my thirst, and water needs during a
fast can be quite small.  I have read an old (~1912) experiment on
fasting dogs, and there was an increase in nitrogen excretion
following greater water ingestion (if I remember correctly).  So it
may be that you are on to something significant here, or in the case
of the dog it could have just been that the extra water ration
allowed its kidneys to flush out some nitrogen that was already
"loose."  This seems to be such a basic & important thing that
research should be focused on it to determine just what is going on.

>Sometimes in the morning my temp was up over 98 (quite a
> fever for thisbody).  I started taking my temp at bedtime (around 8pm then)
> part way through the fast, and after having drunk several glasses of
> water during the day. I got some readings like 93-94 degrees on the same
> days when the waking temp was over 98.  Perhaps the hydration helps expel
> toxins that would otherwise induce fever?

You may have really hit on the answer here, and the toxin was
nitrogen (protein).

>I went through all of Oct/Nov and most of Sept without
> drinking ANY water, but recently began feeling thirsty and dehydrated.

Your body will lose quite a bit of water in the winter (in northern
climes) due to the low humidity.  A lot depends on how hot you keep
your house.

> Drinking a  large glass (about a pint) of water yielded a
> lower-than-expected body temp the next morning.

Keep following this Bob, as it looks like you may have some very
significant stuff observed here.  See if you can correlate it with
your karma too.

--Doug Schwartz