RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 96 16:36:11 -0500
From:
[log in to unmask] (Laurie Forti)
 Md> From: Mark Rothstein <[log in to unmask]>
 Md> To: Michael Clingman <[log in to unmask]>
 Md> Subject: floss/water pik/baking soda

 Md> I've done the water-pik test, and it's quite impressive, even after
 Md> brushing!

    It is really amazing that brushing simply does not remove fibrous
food debris as we were taught to believe.
    It seems that that action of chewing separates the teeth slightly
and fibers are forced down between the teeth to be held there as the
teeth return to the original position.  Water piking and fiddling with
those triangular shaped tooth picks does remove impressive amounts of
junk.

 Md> I'm also trying an experiment (with no definite planned outcome) of
 Md> putting in
 Md> 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda into the water pik solution. This
 Md> neutralizes the
 Md> acid in the fruit and that generated in my mouth from the sugar.

    One can use other additives, such as hydrogen peroxide.
    I've come to use a warm saturated salt solution with some Lavoris
for the flavor.  I keep a pint plastic wide-mouth bottle half filled
with rock salt.  I fill the bottle with hot tap water and shake for
about 20 seconds to dissolve the salt and then use this solution in
the Water Pik.
    Since the major loss of teeth is periodontal disease, not Mr.
Decay Germ as we were taught as children, the bacterial environment of
the mouth is very important.  Orthodox periodontal belief is that
bacteria normally in the mouth unexplainedly start to colonize the
tooth surface near the gum and the debris (plaque) that they leave
irritates the gum so it pulls away from the tooth.  This creates a
little pocket and the bacteria move in.  This causes the gum to recede
further, the little ligaments which attach the tooth to the gum break
as the pocket deepens over several years, and eventually the otherwise
healthy tooth falls out.
    Contrary to advertising propaganda, brushing and flossing simply
do not get down into periodontal pockets, and although they _might_
help prevent the start of gum recession, once it has started, only
irrigation can get into the pockets themselves.  Using a very small
blunt hypodermic needle, syringe, and bacteriostat like Peridex
(prescription needed) to irrigate and flush out the pockets seems to
help shrink them.
    I suspect that periodontal disease occurs because the normal
bacteriostatic properties of the saliva are reduced or lost due to
decades of faulty diet and the toxic effects of the mercury which
leaks from silver-amalgam filling materials.  Better diet alone does
not seem to reverse perio disease, even long after amalgam fillings
have been removed, so some permanent damage might have been done by
the mercury, or mercury may still be in the tissues adjacent to teeth
previously filled with amalgam.  Chelation therapy, which pulls heavy
metals and arterial plaque out of the body, may have some positive
effect on periodontal disease.
    The only commercial products that I'm aware of that takes a
rational, i.e. non-toxic, approach to the loss of bacteriostatic
properties in our mouths are produced by Biotene.
    The tooth paste contains glucose oxidase, lactoperoxidase, and
sodium monofluorophosphate.  A chewing gum also contains these
enzymes.  The mouthwash contains lysozyme, lactoferrin, glucose
oxidase, and lactoperoxidase.  They claim these enzymes "boost the
defense system normally found in your saliva".  To me, it seems a lot
more rational to use non-toxic enzymes to remove glucose and kill
bacteria than the approach of some products that use toxic materials.
Biotene may be contacted at 1(800)922-5856.  [Note: normal disclaimer.]
    Further information about the toxic effects of silver-mercury
amalgam filling material:

<=> Hal Huggins, D.D.S.
    It's All in Your Head: Diseases Caused by Silver-Mercury
Fillings, PO Box 2589, Colorado Springs, CO 80901
(800)331-2303/(303)473-4703  This book is written by a dentist who is
crusading against amalgam filling material, whose research is
intentionally ignored by the American Dental Association, and who has
hundreds of case histories of serious diseases that vanished on
removal of mercury-amalgam filling materials!!

<=> Sam Ziff
    Silver Dental Fillings: The Toxic Time Bomb, Aurora Press,
205 3rd Ave, #2A, NYC 10003 (204 references)
    Ziff also publishes The Bioprobe Newsletter and Dental and Health
Facts Newsletter that provide in-depth reviews of pertinent scientific
literature regarding mercury amalgam toxicity at Bio-Probe Inc., POBox
608010, Orlando, FL 32860-8010 (407)299-4149, FAX (407)299-4149
Several books on the subject, including Toxic Time Bomb, are also
available from this source.

... Be true to your teeth, or they will be false to you!