RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Douglas Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>>
Date:
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 10:05:55
Peter:
>On the CR FAQ <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~freinkel/cr.htm#Risks> you
>will find the following warning. "It is conceivable that someone prone
>to eating disorders could experience an increase in obsessional
>attitudes towards food in trying to practice CR. There is no
> evidence what this has or would happen but the risk should be kept in
> mind by anybody practicing CR. If you begin CR and feel that you
> might be developing an unhealthful relationship to food, you might try
>discussing your situation in the Usenet group, Alt.support.eating.disorder
> (in addition with talking with` friends, family etc.)"
>I would like to add that I think a lot of diet zealotry and
> food faddism is eating disorder in disguise kept in denial by an obsessed mind.

There are 2 types of people, those who are all messed up with low
self-esteem, etc., & those who go into CR or NH or whatever for
health reasons.  The former group is just plain depressed, the
latter are in general pretty mentally healthy, future-focused
people.  (And there is of course an occasional Bohdi, traveling an
exotic Third Way.) In practice, the type of people who get into the
healthy behaviors just do not overlap with the former who get into
screwy stuff such as anorexia.  The problems the CR or raw crew or
whatever have tend to be in sticking to their ideal diets, in going
far enough down the path they have chosen.  The anorexics are busy
destroying their health to satisfy what they think others want them
to be, while the health seekers are often fighting the notions of
the disease-infested general population.  The anorexics are usually
meek followers, the health seekers many times find they have to
fight the crowd.

--Doug Schwartz