Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 1995 19:22:50 -0500

I, too, have thought of myself as a canary and wonder when the world will
catch on. Pesimistically- it propably won't thru natural selection operating
in this man made world.

Wondered why "things like butter should be ok  because the paper is waxed",
is there something about paper processing and packaging that contaminates
with wheat?

Wanted to comment about heavily spiced food reactions- you said "since spices
don't contain wheat." It is my understanding that many spices do contain
wheat - as a filler to stretch, as in cheapen-to help prevent caking etc. The
point Is that eating out means someone's profit and most places will cut
costs with foods that contain wheat. I don't touch chinese etc. since almost
all soy sauses contain wheat. In early years of learning to avoid wheat I
figured out that some coffee contains wheat ("Lenny's" gave me the runs).
Even in health food stores curry powder usually contains wheat. Nothing goes
in the mouth without reading labels, but somehow protecting receipe secrets
allows labelling to just say "and spices" to our harm.

This is my 1st post-so thankful to have this mail list- looked everywhere for
support for 5 yrs and gave up.  Now things are happening locally and on the
net. This is a great chance for all of us to get together and change
labelling. All we need is a few people to get things going and the rest of us
can respond with letters etc. It's about to happen. :)