From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:26:01 -0600

>So it looks to me as if being less sensitive to the immediate response
>means being more, not less, vigilant, on the diet?

Me being just a layperson not a scientist I totally agree with your last
statement.  I cannot use the reaction test as any indicator of destruction,
I am one of those celiacs that had atypical symptoms all my life.  No one
knew the cause of my anemia and I was diagnosed only after my young son was.
As he was diagnosed by biopsy and confirmed (as myself) I would not give him
a challenge "just to find out how, when he reacted".  To me it's just not
worth it to force a challenge when throughout his life he will inadvertantly
challenge his system anyway.  Right now at 3 he cannot tell me what it was
that made him sick, but as he gets older he will be able to understand
better and relate what he ate that may have caused a reaction.

The only thing I wish I would have done was take pictures of his poor
bloated body when he was his sickest.  It may sound cruel but I thought,
since hearing many have problems with teenagers sticking to their diet, that
it might deter him to see before diet and after diet pictures.  I know his
teen years are not in the near future but that is what the problem is, by
then he will have forgotten how sick he really was.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada