From:
Roy Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 08:59:13 +1000

>I have noticed a number of people on the list who are parents of Celiac
>Disease children.

>I have suspicions  about two of my grandchldren. One (age14) has had,
>ostensibly, the best of medical supervision (Boston Children's, etc.)
>The other(age 4 1/2) is just thought of as a rude, disruptive,
>undisciplined child, AT TIMES. The little boy will
>probably end up in jail by the Second grade. Strangely, both are very
>attractive and socially competent. Who's to know? AMS

I have DH with no family history of CD or obvious gastro problems and
borderline to normal biopsy history (although I have a sneaking suspicion
my regularity is not entirely due to a high fibre diet!). My two boys aged
6 and 3 also have regular bowel habits that still cause occasional
accidents in the elder one. In a book by the peadiatrician Dr Chris Green
entitled "Todler Taming" such active bowel habits or even mild chronic
diarrhea in young children is said to be quite normal. However, my boys
also exhibit regular bouts of bad temper, exasperating defiance of their
parents and mood swings (They can also be placid little Angels). I realise
many (most?) normal kids also show this type of behaviour, but it is always
possible that gluten intolerance may enhance it. We are toying with putting
them on a gluten free diet, but these kids love their pasta, noodles and
bread and the assocated trauma of keeping them GF is daunting! We'll see!
Cheers
Roy
Dr Roy Hall
Microbiology, UQ