From:
ROSALIE JALBERT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 00:00:20 EDT

My dad has been losing weight for the past year. Made him go for acheckup.
Well my dad's checkup went well. The nurse called him today and said the
bloodwork was fine and to drink Ensure to build himself up. This is a 70
year old man who is still active (retired roofer) who still does it on the
side.He has always had a huge appetite although now he tells me he is not
as hungry. He has always been thin--did have a small pot belly acouple of
years ago that we teased him about.  He complained about a very sore
shoulder about two years ago. Went to a doctor who did a sigmoidoscopy on
him. You can imagine the jokes about that--went to a doctor for a sore
shoulder and he examined the other end!!  Now that his brother (73) has
been diagnosed with AML (Leukemia) and his other brother died of Myeloma,
should I be concerned with his weight loss? I called the doctor's office
personally and gavethem a history before she saw him.  My dad has always
had agreat metabolism (lucky him) but I'm still scared. Should the doctor
be checking anything else?  I ratted on him and told them he
 was smoking again and they did order a chest x-ray--no results from that
yet. The nurse didn't even know he had one.

I met his doctor last year when my mom was having a checkup. The subject of
Celiac Disease came up.  Her remark was that was a "children's disease.
When I told her that most of my group was adults she looked very surprised.
If she were aware of CD, wouldn't she check my dad's reason for weight loss
and not just tell him to drink Ensure. I don't know if I'm more scared
about CD or cancer or both with him. BTW, he is my step-father so Russ' CD
has nothing to with inheriting it from him.  I'm looking for advice, guys.
Anything I can send to the doctor wouldbe nice.  I want something official
and have looked through my stuff but nothing strikes as being adequate. Dr.
Murray, if you are on here, do you have anything I could send her or do you
think I shouldn't be concerned.

Please give me some advice.
Rosalie