From:
Walter & Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 13:02:06 -0500

Listmates,

I'm new to the list and haven't really posted an introduction yet, so I'll
say that my daughter Grace and I seem to have the wheat intolerance that may
come from a low phenolsulfertransferase enzyme.  However, my question is on
another front.  I haven't been on the list long enough to know if you've
discussed a possible connection between celiac and spina bifida.  But here's
my story.

Grace started preschool today, and her teacher is a grandmother of one of
Grace's good friends.  That little friend has a baby sister with spina
bifida which I understand has been linked with low maternal folic acid.

I was explaining Grace's dietary restrictions, and her teacher said, " Oh I
know all about that wheat business.  My daughter was diagnosed with sprue in
high school, but she got over it.  Her doctor said if the symptoms recur
that she might be at higher risk for cancer, but so far so good."

It was clear to me that she was saying her daughter had not been restricting
her diet since her symptoms went away in high school.  I thought about how I
read in the faq about celiac being related to low folic acid, and I suddenly
got very very sad that maybe this little child with spina bifida had a
life-long terrible disease because perhaps this young woman's doctor had
made light of celiac.

This young mother is now studying for nursing school and is quite thin.

Several things occurred to me.

1.  Her doctor in high school thought celiac was only as serious as the
symptoms it caused.

2.  Her gynecologist either didn't know about the celiac, or did not think
her celiac could effect her child.

3.  Even after having a child with spina bifida, no one talked to her about
the possibility that she might still have celiac.

Her mother and she are quite close and see each other every day.  There may
be some slight chance that the daughter knew of the possible connection in
the two diseases but didn't want her mother to feel guilty about the
doctor's shortsightedness.

But I haven't figured out if I should just stay mum, or if I should say
something else.  Her daughter is still in her twenties and could have
another child.

Any wisdom out there?

Susan Owens