From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 1995 15:50:27 -0700

Dear Netfriends,
        Mocha Mix Original Non-Dairy Creamer and Mocha Mix Frozen
Dessert, besides being truly non-dairy, are still affirmed to be
gluten-free. I spoke with Cathy Ozrelic of Presto Food Products
(1-800-662-4269 and 1-818-810-1775) to ask about the artificial
flavoring and the mono and diglycerides. As the package states, the
glycerides are from soybean and cottonseed sources. The artificial
flavoring, according to quality assurance manager Melissa De
Hart, is completely synthetic. [Ironic for that to be good news in the
Age of Organic. :)]
        Ms. Ozrelic says Presto Foods is delighted to have lots of people
know about their products, but hates to disappoint those who cannot
find them in their area. Currently, they serve the West Coast, some
Kosher distributors on the (North) East Coast and Florida. She said the
non-dairy creamer goes as far afield as Canada, but is more likely
available to Canadians in U.S. border states. My suggestion is that you
use their 800 number before looking.
        My observations: I prefer Mocha Mix creamer to Coffee Rich. (My
wheat-eater husband likes it better too.) I like the vanilla frozen
dessert, but, I feel better if I only have one scoop, possibly because
it contains guar gum. (Guar gum seems to expand in my gut, and then
acts like a mild laxative. Neither is a pleasant association to a
celiac.) I told Ms. Ozrelic that she could tally my vote that they
switch to xanthan gum. [For other lactose intolerants craving a frozen
dessert: please note that Tofutti was mentioned on this list as NOT
GF.]
        Coming soon: a report from Nature s Gate about their toothpastes,
and one from Solgar about the vegicap capsules they use in their herbal
remedies.
        All the best,
        Mary Courtney
        Los Angeles, CA