From:
"Michael W. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 1995 22:24:50 -0500

The following note was sent to me requesting any knowledge on the issue of
gluten and an accelerated alcohol factor.

---
Dear Mike,

   As per our phone conversation, my wife Colleen was at a dinner where
she got a heavy duty gluten dose. When she left she stopped with her brother
in a bar where she had one glass of wine, her first of the night. She got
very sick at this point as she started to have a gluten attack. They left.
She made an illegal turn into a parking lot in order to take a rest. A
policeman followed her and upon seeing her looking ill deduced she was drunk.

Colleen becomes almost schizophrenic when she has a severe attack. She didn't
know what she was doing. She refused to take a breath or blood test. He
arrested her.  Her doctor wouldn't testify because he did not know of any
relationship of Celiacs having schizophrenic symptoms. It looks like she will
lose her license, which she needs to do her job. Any help or ideas from
anyone would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much Mike. Any Celiac info would
also be wonderful!

-----------

Any thoughts on this issue can be sent to my ID ([log in to unmask]) and I will
forward them to Robert.

If any knowledge of a linkage is available, my recommendations were:

1.  Contact the Eplisey Foundation for information on their police officer
awareness program about situations in which a person having an eplisey attack
can be incorrectly considered drunk.

2.  Contact a lawyer with experience in medical cases.

3.  The wife must acknowledge the dangers of alcohol toward her health and
welfare and must abstain from any quantities of alcohol.

Regards,

Michael Jones, [log in to unmask]
Living a wonderful, GF life in Orlando, FL USA