Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 1995 15:41:25 -0500

I decided to write about my little episode because in retrospect I find
it rather humorous but also because the position I put myself in could
have easily been avoided with a little more planning and effort.

I teach computers on a middle school level.  For anyone who thinks this
is an easy job, I invite you to come spend a day.  It is mentally and
physically exhausting; and having Celiac and being over 40 don't help.

Anyway, I thought I was feeling "strong" enough to plan to go shopping
after work on Friday instead of coming home, making dinner, and crashing
as usual.  On my behalf, I will say that my first stop was at a health
food store where I bought some pasta and cookie supplies.  I then
ventured to my next planned stop where after about 20 minutes I started
to get that familiar achey, exhausted feeling.  OK - I thought _ I
planned this, I'm going to venture on.  So venture on I did until I
starting to get hungry.

Luckily I had three bags of Pamela's Cookies to hold me over.  I ate 3
or maybe 4 cookies but I soon realized that these were not going to get
me through.  So after fighting traffic and two mac machines that were
out of order I found a McDonalds.  I remembered reading on the list how
some people had very good luck with McDonalds or was that bad luck or no
luck?  Whatever, I was starving by now.  So I went through the drive
thru (no i'm not going to eat a breadless burger in front of everyone)
and ordered a McLean Deluxe, Small Fries, Diet Coke.

I pull up to the window - they are out of lean beef.  I must of looked a
littled crazed when I said "give me a quarter pounder NOW" because I got
it really fast.  Do any of you know how hard it is to pull that burger
off the bread - let alone without getting any crumbs on it - while
driving?  Believe me, it makes the issue of whether the fries are cooked
in the same oil as the chicken nuggets, a negligable point!

I ate the semi-breadless burger, fries, diet coke.  Yes, I did feel a
little under the weather the next day; but would I do it again?
Probably.  I'm sure those plane crash survivors aren't trading human
flesh recipes or planning a reunion barbeque; but sometimes we do what
we have to do.

Next time, I will plan better.  I'll bring food with me that will be
satisfying and keep me going.  Believe me, cookies don't do the trick.
You need something substantial and I learned that you can't wait until
you are ready to bite the arm off of the poor boy working the take-out
window at McDonalds!

Debbie Resch
West Creek, New Jersey