From:
Timothy Partridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 1995 18:55:13 GMT

> I have been wondering if anyone has tried getting the US television news
> programs to do a program on the under-diagnosis of celiac disease?  Seems
> to me that it would be just the sort of thing that a show like Sixty
> Minutes or Dateline would like.

Coeliac disease might not be sensational enough for them.
The secretary of the UK Coeliac society visited my local group earlier this
year and told us that a local newspaper man had contacted her about a recently
diagnosed child, and lost interest when he learned that the child would be
completely normal when on the diet. It would seem that the media prefer stories
involving daily injections, constant attention needed by the parents and a
short life expectancy, i.e. some sort of tragedy affecting an innocent child.
I suppose we are fortunate that our condition can be put so well under control,
but it doesn't help from the publicity point of view.

  Tim