From:
Richard Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 18:04:25 -0700

This is a combination appology and information note. A while back I
"jumped" on a message that said that Stolie vodka is o.k. I "jumped" on
the message because the Stolie label clearly says "made from the finest
grains". I assumed ( recall that to assume is to make an ASS out of U and
ME) that the grain could be wheat. Well, it "could be."

I live in Southern California, USA. One of the major food chains in this
area is Albertsons. The Albertsons dark rum is not bad in taste and is
reasonably priced, so when I requested information about the "caramel" in
the rum I was given the name of a VP at the distributer, Franklin
Distilleries. Now, folks, I am writing this from memory because of time
constraints; if anyone is interested in details, I'll be happy to respond
- after the holiday weekednd.

Bottom line: "GRAIN" can be non-wheat. Albertsons and Long Drugs vodkas
are made from CORN grain, as is CROWN RUSSE vodka (US nationally
distributed). Albertsons dark rum, as are most dark rums, does have
caramel coloring. BUT the coloring is from sugar!: a few tabelspoons per
1,000 wine gallons.

It seems that no one has done any chemical testing - or no one knows of
any specicific studies (too expensive?), but it is ASS U MEed that gliadin
and other proteins do not make it through the distillation process.

Bottom line: your call. After the "holidays" I'll find my notes if anyone
needs more detail. But this is a LONG weekend, so don't expect a "quick"
response.

You all have a nice day. Dyhear? G'day
Rich

Richard Black  Internet address   [log in to unmask]