From:
James Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 1995 11:29:00 EST

Jane Oswaks wrote:

> It has been stated numerous times on the net that distilled alcohol
> from wheat and vinegar made from it are not going to contain gluten
> peptides that might be harmful to celiac patients.  This is
> scientific evidence that has been provided repeatedly by Don Kasarda,
> who is a chemist with the USDA.

I've read Don's previous postings, and I appreciate all the time he has
put into this list.  He has freely shared his expertise on this list,
and we would be less knowledgeable without him.

We have other experts on the list who have given freely of their time,
too.  We also have some people on the list who have been successfully
dealing with celiac disease for years, and their experiences must be
considered as well.

The fact is, not all of the experts on this list agree that grain
alcohol is safe for celiacs.  Many long-term celiacs also don't agree
(and many do).  If Don is right (and I suspect he is), there is still
the possibility of contamination of the resulting liquid with wheat
dust from the air.  I read once that after baking, flour dust remains
in the air for seven days afterwards.  Any product derived from wheat
has the potential for this sort of contamination.  Many of us feel that
the safest course is to simply avoid products that are derived from
grains toxic to celiacs.

Much is known about celiac disease, and we are learning more all the
time.  However, many questions still remain and people are entitled to
have and express varying opinions about these issues.  Let's try to
observe the decencies of debate when having these discussions.