Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 22:39:02 -0700

Hi guys,
Does anyone know if the immune system is affected by CD? I can't help but
think it might be while the CD is undiagnosed and untreated because your
immune system is getting starved like the rest of your body. And are
celiacs at additional risk for being immunocompromised even if they stick
to the diet? I'm not trying to scare anyone, it is just of interest to me
as I have been sicker in the last 4-5 years (undiagnosed but knew bread
bothered me) than in my whole life with colds, flu, urinary tract infections,
and wonder if there is a link. I feel better already after 2 weeks on the GF
diet and 1 week milk-free so I am hoping that my general health will improve
in terms of fighting off infections. Curiously, many of my urinary tract
infections failed to respond to antibiotics which were determined to be the
correct ones to eradicate the particular bacteria. I have never found a DR
yet who can tell me if this might be because my system isn't absorbing the
drug in the small intestine (I know some drugs are systemic and others
concentrate in the
urine-the latter should be effective). I have had up to 5 rounds of different
things and still had the infection. Well, enough about me....if anyone knows
what part of the gut absorbs antibiotics such as Cipro and Noroxin I'd be
pleased to hear. Sorry to embarrass anyone with the tale of my insides. ;)
Lisa