From:
Taylor Cushmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 1995 10:05:31 -0500

I have done some preliminary research.  I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR A MEDICAL
PROFESSIONAL.  I am simply someone who is still trying to find out why
I'm not responding successfully to the gluten free diet and am looking
for hidden sources of gluten.

While waiting to get access to the article in the pediatric
gastroenterology magazine I have called both Dairy Ease and Lactaid to
try ro determine where the gluten may come from, or if either product
does contain gluten.  The responses from the two companies were quite
different!  Dairy Ease (Sterling Health at 1 800 331-4536) continues to
say their product is gluten free.

When I explained about hidden gluten they said a chemist would return my
call within two hours.  After three morre calls over the next 8 hours all
I could get from Tracey and someone else named Coleen O'Brien was that
their product was gluten free and a promise that I would hear further
from their chemist.  I'll keep the list informed.

Lactaid, on the other hand (1 800-LACTAID "Bonnie" ) seemed very
knowledgeable and interested in all my questions about hidden sources.
Bonnie took me through each ingredient and told me to watch for the "New
Formula" on the shelves at some of the markets in my area.  (Westchester
County, NY) She said any starch is corn starch, the Mannitol is from corn
syrup or beet sugar and the magnesium stearate is from Kosher vegetable
oil but unidentified from an outside supplier.  The reason they wouldn't
list their product as gluten free is because of the veg.  oil although
she felt there was no gluten.  The FDA requires a product to be l00%
gluten free in order to be labeled as such, while other ingredients can
be in a product in trace amounts without having to appear on the label.

I'm sorry to be so long winded but this is a subject of critical
importance to those of us that are trying to get calcium and certain
vitamins from dairy products on this GF diet.  I'll keep you informed.
Does anyone else want to contribute.  Especially Jo Murray or Don
Kassarda?  Be Well, [log in to unmask]