From:
Laura Johnson-Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 10:48:41 -0500

Diane,

Because I am a celiac, we kept my daughter (now age 2) as gluten-free as
possible for her first year.  In other words, she had no gluten at home or
when we were with her, but I cannot be absolutely positive that her cousins
didn't slip her a cracker or two during family holidays when I wasn't
looking.  We used Isomil as a supplement to breast milk, for a feeding a
day.  I have also used various soy formulas in cooking for me, with no ill
effect.  None of the formulas commonly available in the Ithaca NY USA area
have obvious sources of gluten, though I am not really sure about the
vitamin sources.  We used soy formulas because Cynthia had an intolerance
to casein during her first months of life (yes even when I consumed dairy,
it went through my leaky celiac gut and got into the breast milk).  I am a
firm believer that breast milk is best for infants, and it is cheap as well
as gluten-free.

Laura

In message Mon, 25 Sep 1995 21:19:19 -0500, Diane Poot <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> I am rather new to this list but I haven't seen anything listed in the FAQ
> files about gluten free baby formulas.  I have a brand new niece born last
> week and since her older sister has recently been diagnosed with celiac
> sprue, the doctors do not want the new baby to have any gluten for at
> least the first year.  Their doctors and nutritionist have come up
> negative on any baby formulas that are gluten free.  Have any of you
> faced this same predicament? And, if so, what solutions did you find?

Ithaca, NY, USA