From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 11:40:42 -0400

Following is a thread on a GF candy. Some of the recipes mention vanilla
flavoring. One based on a non-gluten grain is available from Dietary
Specialties at 800-544-0099 (716-263-2787). Also the recipes use
confectioner's sugar, which has corn starch in the US, but has wheat starch
in Canada. Don Wiss.

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Potato Candy
From: Teresa <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 1995 21:48:06 -0800

Does anybody remember "potato candy"?  My great grandmother used to make
it a couple of times a year and I would love to kno the origin...it would
seem to be a frugal version of fondant which it surprising resembled altho
it was some years ago and I was a child.  She was from Kansas originally.

The candy was made from a baked russet potato, skinned and riced.
Confectioners (powdered sugar) was added and liquid to make it a
fondant-like texture.  A couple of drops of food coloring could make it
pink or any pastel....then a walnut, date or other decorative top was
added.

I'm curious as I've never met anyone who remembers these.
From: [log in to unmask] (Nicole A. Okun)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 95 08:16:07 -0700

There is a recipe in a little book I have called "La cuisine de la
Petite-Nation" which is from Quebec.  It is for potato Easter eggs.  A
portion of the potato mixture is coloured yellow for the yolks, and the
finished "eggs" are coated with semi-sweet chocolate.  The recipe:
Oeufs de Paques Maheux
(de Madeleine Carriere)

1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes, cooled
1/2 cup butter
vanilla extract
3 cups icing sugar
yellow food colouring
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate

Blend the potato and butter together.  Stir in the vanilla extract, plus
enough icing sugar to obtain a shape-able "dough".  Colour 1/4 of the
mixture with enough food colouring to make it resemble egg yolks, and shape
it into small balls.  Using the white mixture, shape the rest of the "egg"
around the "yolks".

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and coat each egg with chocolate.
Refrigerate the eggs before serving.

I haven't tried this recipe myself, so can't vouch for it.
From: [log in to unmask] (john anderson mcgraw)
Date: 17 Sep 1995 09:29:56 -0600

Yeah, we know of it...my mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law make it at
Christmas, as it is a tradition in my husband's family...they just can't
have Christmas without potato candy. And since we live between mom and
grandma (a big between...mom in Phoenix, us in Albuquerque, grandma in
Vilonia, AR.) we get a batch dropped off both coming and going in
December.
I can't make it yet, and they use peanut butter rolled up in the middle.
I don't work so well with peanut butter, except in PB, mayo and pickle
sandwiches.

Rebecca McGraw

PS: If you want a recipe, I can see if I can pry it out of John's family
vaults.
From: [log in to unmask] (Mary Plunet)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 1995 16:28:27 GMT

We used to make peppermint patties. Just add peppermint flavoring .
Make a ball the size of a large marble, flatten and dip in chocolate.
From: Barbara Mayo-Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 17:24:52 -0400

Never made potato candy, but was given some as a gift at holiday time a
few years ago.  This particular stuff was GHASTLY, much too sweet.  It
had been rolled up, jelly-roll fashion, with sweetened peanut butter.
Overwhelming.